"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 03-01-2016, 06:19 AM   #1
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Composting Help

I want to start composting, what can/should I use from the household? Any help in building a compost bin is greatly appreciated. I've never done this before...

Old 03-01-2016, 06:33 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have some plastic buckets with lids from cat litter, can I make this into a bin for the kitchen, how do I do it?

Old 03-01-2016, 08:34 AM   #3
Senior Cook

there are many of the bins online depending on what you want to use the compost for and how much you will have. I just bury my scrapes in the garden with a small shovel.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

You can use any vegetable kitchen scraps in compost. Don't use meat or eggshells; they will attract rodents. Depending on how big your yard is, you can just make a pile and turn it every few months.

DH built a two-part composter with wood surrounded by chicken wire to keep the stuff in. There's an opening at the bottom for removing the finished compost. It needs to be sort of open, so microbes and worms can get in there and break down the material into humus, so I don't think a bucket would work very well.

Here's more information: https://pubs.ext.vt.edu/HORT/HORT-49/HORT-49-PDF.pdf
Old 03-01-2016, 09:37 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Home Cook View Post
there are many of the bins online depending on what you want to use the compost for and how much you will have. I just bury my scrapes in the garden with a small shovel.
I agree, I would just scatter the items over the area where your garden will be located or if you really want a designated place then a small square defined by some boards or cinder blocks will create a small compost pit.

I would add any vegetable scraps, coffee grounds, eggshells, etc... and stay away from any grease, bones, leftover meat etc...

When you finally get your garden started switch over to mulching the garden with these scraps, lawn trimmings, even a layer of wet newspapers to help conserve moisture and keep the weeds from sprouting.

When you have an extra 20 minutes take a look at this old video on mulching from Ruth Stout.

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2016, 10:07 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Composting Help

My outside compost "bin" is 3 short sections of railroad tie. I have a little metal bucket with a filter in the lid in which to put kitchen scraps. It's attractive enough to sit on the counter. I empty it weekly into the outdoor bin.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:11 AM   #7
Head Chef

G6956 Making and Using Compost | University of Missouri Extension

Lots of good info.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:01 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Layering your compost pile with course materials is key to getting air into the pile. Compost needs air and moisture to decompose. Course materials are straw, twigs, anything to separate your kitchen additions. In my compost pile I use kitchen scraps, crushed eggs shells (we eat a lot of eggs), coffee grounds and its paper holder, spent garden plants, chipped trees and worms. I am not a compost pile turner. I let it sit for two years before I use it. This weekend I looked at my one year old pile and was pleased with its decomposition so far. The worms are thriving. I collect worms on the roads after rather infrequent heavy rains here and toss them on the pile.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:15 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Composting Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have some plastic buckets with lids from cat litter, can I make this into a bin for the kitchen, how do I do it?

Use as is. Depending on the size, you may want to keep it under the sink rather than on the counter.

I don't turn my compost either. We have a nice worm farm going on.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:54 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Use as is. Depending on the size, you may want to keep it under the sink rather than on the counter.

I don't turn my compost either. We have a nice worm farm going on.
You're talking about using these to collect scraps to take outside, right? I thought PF was asking about using them to compost in.