Container Garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skilbeau

Assistant Cook
Well I definately woudn't say that I have a green thumb so I was a bit hesitant in starting up a garden, much less one in containers. After reading a few articles and hearing about peoples success stories I decided what the heck.

As of right now I have two tomato plants each with 3 or 4 tiny tomatoes growing on them. I have three bell pepper plants, one yellow, green, and red, which are all starting to bloom. I have a couple of chilli peppers, cayenne peppers, and jalapeno peppers that are producing quite a few peppers. Lastly I have a couple of containers with rosemary, thyme, sweet basil, and oregeno that are doing pretty good.

I was really surprised with how well everything took off. Does anyone here have any sugestions on other veggies that are fairly easy to grow in containers? I'm becoming addicted to my little garden!

Cucumbers are good, sweet peas and beans if there is a place to climb. I'm actually growing tomatoes from a hanging planter and almost any plant can grow in one.

Yes, bush beans do well in pots, as do pole beans.

For the latter, put 3 pots together in a triangle, and insert some long bamboo stakes in each pot. Gather together the tops of the stakes and bungee the tops of them together, making a teepee frame. Plant the pole beans in the pots and watch them climb up your frame, filling it in beautifully, and make easy pickings of the beans. Kentucky Wonders are my favorite pole bean.

Eggplants are great container plants. I plant Japanese eggplants, Ichiban variety.

Radishes do well in containers, planted in the spring. I have never had luck with fall crop radishes.

You can do all sorts of lettuces, mesclun, spinach, chard and other greens.

I've grown brussels sprouts, but they take forever and more fun than productive.

Lee

:) I grow tomatoes in containers with great success. I do grow them in a 8' x 10' green house because we have such a short season. With a fan in the summer and a oil heater when it gets colder. I also have a wireless thermometer to monitor green house. It gets so hot even with venting and the fan it can still top over 120 degrees at times. I actually attach a white sheet on the top of green house to keep the temp down. If your containers are not too big you can grow in a sunny place in the house. There are two types of plants you can get determinates which grow a one heavy crop but then die or you can grow indeterminates that produce fruit all summer long. I like the second of the two kinds tomatoes just because they keep producing. I am in no way a gardener but have done well with tomatoes. Of course then you get into all the varieties of tomatoes heirloom/hybrids etc and thats where I get totally lost. Would love to grow other things like carrots, swiss chard etc but don't have the room I do grow herbs in the house especially sweet basil which I turn into pesto. Have a tiny patch of chives out side that come back every year. If you love pesto it's worth it to grow alot of basil to make and freeze your own pesto.

Last edited:
Just this afternoon I noticed quite a few creepy looking bugs in my garden. They have 6 black legs, are a bright orange color, and have a black head. Does anybody have any idea what these might be? Just curious.

I'm doing container gardening this year.... so far I have tomatoes, mint, butternut squash, tarragon, basil, jalapeno and cayenne peppers. So far, so good!

Keeping it watered if you are in hot climates like mine and fertilize.

Just this afternoon I noticed quite a few creepy looking bugs in my garden. They have 6 black legs, are a bright orange color, and have a black head. Does anybody have any idea what these might be? Just curious.
Sounds like a lady bug....a good thing.

Don't forget to plant a few herbs to use with all of those wonderful veggies that you all are growing.

Oh I forgot about those. I've got a few sweet basil, rosemary, thyme, and oregeno plants in a couple of metal cans. Is it right that I'm supposed to keep them a little dry?

Back
Top Bottom