"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 06-04-2016, 06:55 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Controlling Cherry Tomato Plant Size

While at the home improvement store a couple of weeks ago on a whim I decided to try to grow cherry tomatoes in containers on the patio. I grabbed a couple of plants and containers and set them up on the patio. They are doing well so far and I looked up the variety to see when I could expect fruit. The producer's web site says they will grow to 5 - 7 feet tall. Holy crap! I don't know much about gardening but the tomato plants I have seen are in the 3 - 4 foot range, and I just assumed that cherry tomatoes would be smaller. The containers are 16 inches, and if the plants really do get that big I'm concerned that there will be too much sail area for the containers and they might topple in the wind. We're pretty close to the ocean and wind is always a factor. I'm anticipating that I will need to cut them back. Should I wait until they get to be too tall or should I prune earlier?

https://bonnieplants.com/product/cho...inkles-tomato/

Old 06-04-2016, 07:02 AM   #2
Executive Chef

This may sound like a stupid question, but are you using tomato cages in your pots?

Old 06-04-2016, 07:18 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Not a stupid question, because I'm a gardening noob. I'll be picking up tomato cages within the next few days, before they get too big to get the cage over.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:39 AM   #4
Head Chef

If you get yourself some good 3-4 foot cages, you can trim from the tops and sides later in the season. Once the plants are 1-2 feet tall, take off the bottom leaves, the lowest leaves. Many diseases that kill off tomatoes early, like fungus and others, come up from the ground and splash (during watering and rain) up onto the leaves, then travel up the plant before the season is over. If you avoid getting disease and fungi on the lower leaves (by removing them), your plant may last longer in the season.

There are stories (true or myth!) that when tomatoes are not producing tomatoes and only growing leaves, the farmer would go out and damage them, yelling at them and hitting them with sticks to injure them. Parts of the plant are cracked and broken, dying off. The remaining plant will produce more fruit at that point. Think of pruning off parts of the plant as a way to push the plant to produce more fruits.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:33 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Cages will not help a 7' plant. A trellis will. I stopped using cages as they work well for short plants but do nothing for taller plants.
You could buy a trellis or two and put the pots at the bottom and train them to go up.
Also, plants in containers need to be checked for water at least once every two days.
So, you must keep an eye on them so they don't dry up on you. Good luck.

If you are going on vacation this summer, you should find a way to get them water as needed.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:36 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Cages will not help a 7' plant. A trellis will. I stopped using cages as they work well for short plants but do nothing for taller plants.
You could buy a trellis or two and put the pots at the bottom and train them to go up.
Also, plants in containers need to be checked for water at least once every two days.
So, you must keep an eye on them so they don't dry up on you. Good luck.

If you are going on vacation this summer, you should find a way to get them water as needed.
Burpee offers 4' extensions for their cages.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Controlling Cherry Tomato Plant Size

I got some great 5' galvanized cages years ago at our local Farm and Fleet. They're very sturdy, and have served me well over the years. I've also used 3 long tree branches made into a teepee and stuck into the pots for a tomato trellis.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:47 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
While at the home improvement store a couple of weeks ago on a whim I decided to try to grow cherry tomatoes in containers on the patio. I grabbed a couple of plants and containers and set them up on the patio. They are doing well so far and I looked up the variety to see when I could expect fruit. The producer's web site says they will grow to 5 - 7 feet tall. Holy crap! I don't know much about gardening but the tomato plants I have seen are in the 3 - 4 foot range, and I just assumed that cherry tomatoes would be smaller. The containers are 16 inches, and if the plants really do get that big I'm concerned that there will be too much sail area for the containers and they might topple in the wind. We're pretty close to the ocean and wind is always a factor. I'm anticipating that I will need to cut them back. Should I wait until they get to be too tall or should I prune earlier?

https://bonnieplants.com/product/cho...inkles-tomato/
If given the chance, cherry tomatoes will literally "cover you up." So far I haven't seen anyone mention "topping" the plants. That is, cutting off the uppermost part of the plant at the height you want it to be. This isn't a cure-all because you most likely will have to top the plant more than once during the growing season.

This will achieve a few things. It will shorten the plant, obviously, and it will force it to bush out, along with allowing any feeding medium and water to go to the remaining plant. A little more efficient use of your plant food and water.

You can also take the top cuttings and root them and create new plants in other containers. I've done that many times. You'll have multiple tomato plants from the one you already started.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:41 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
You can also take the top cuttings and root them and create new plants in other containers. I've done that many times. You'll have multiple tomato plants from the one you already started.
I didn't know you could do that. If there are tomatoes on the top part that is cut and replanted, will they survive until the roots grow? USDA has us in zone 6a, which is the same as eastern inland Massachusetts. I'm hoping that the cuttings will produce fruit before the growing season ends.

I think that if I had used bigger containers I might be able to use higher cages or a trellis, but my concern is that they will topple in the wind in a 16" container. I'm wondering if they will get to full height in the containers I have, as I subsequently found out that 24" containers are recommended.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:47 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

If there are tomatoes on the cuttings, they will compete with the roots for nutrients and should be cut off. I think Katie is in a warmer zone with a longer growing season.

You could try to find a way to anchor the trellis or cages to prevent them from blowing over.

I don't think having them in too-small containers will affect how tall they grow. The roots will fill up the containers in an effort to get enough nutrients to the leaves and fruit. Topping them is probably a good solution, but depending on which variety you have, you may or may not get fruit from the cuttings before a freeze. When using the last average frost date in your area?

Tags
tomato