Corn on Balcony?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greggo

Assistant Cook
I have a balcony about 7' x 7' on my apartment. I am wondering if I there is any way i could grow corn...yes...corn out there. I have always wanted to try but have some issues surrounding having enough stalks and cross-pollination could be an issue. Any ideas?

yes, you certainly can grow corn on your balcony, but bringing in a corn crop could be another matter. The minimum you should plant is a block of 4plants x4 plants, 16 plants in total.

I agree with beth. I can't imagine all the space you'd need to produce a minimum crop. The plants can range 6' + to 8' +.
And as you'd be growing in pots so your yield may be stunted.
I would check online for seed catalogs with a mini plants.

What is your hardiness zone?
Are you looking for a living plant screen?
If so, try bamboo. It is sturdy and multiplies rapidly.

Just one gal's opinion.

Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies. 4x4...good to know. I'm not planning on bringing in much of a crop, one cob would make me more than happy. I wasn't planning on using pots but rather a box about 1' deep and about 4' x 4'. I've heard the root system for corn is very shallow so I guessed that wouldn't stunt the growth too much but not being a farmer I could be 100% wrong. I am not looking for a living plant screen so much as a challenge :) I have always thought it would be cool to be making dinner one night and think, "Hmm, come fresh corn with this meal would be nice." and then go grab the one cob that grew after 100 hours of work :)

Very cool, greggo! If you grow it, we will come!

Make sure you take pictures to post!

Lee

Will do QSis (although, pictures may not be coming soon, the official reading on the balcony right now is 8 F).

Go for it, greggo. At least you won't have deer decimating it. Buck had a beautiful corn garden one year. Huge, corn growing healthy and perfect. He had to go on travel for a couple of days. When he came back, his corn was unrecognizable. Ugh!!!! The deer had completely ruined all of it.

Yeah, i hope I don't have deer problems...although...a deer on my balcony might even be cooler than the corn itself!

Um, I was thinking about tomatoes but corn is the focus...hmm, maybe i'll have brush up on my venison recipes...it's been a while :)

Um, I was thinking about tomatoes but corn is the focus...hmm, maybe i'll have brush up on my venison recipes...it's been a while :)

Tomatoes do well in containers. I grew them quite a few years in the large buckets that kitty litter comes in. I drilled about half dozen 1-inch holes in the bottom of each bucket and planted my tomatoes, put a cage in each bucket and had lots of wonderful tomatoes.

I have tomato plants right now in pots. Soil is garbage/sand here.
I think our chilly weather will sweet them - hopefully.
Although tomorrow I may have to bring them in for the night. UHG!

being from nebraska I couldnt imagine corn on a balcony, since corn litterally surrounds the city. I don't know though for sure, I think it would be a cool thing to be able to do

They will need as much sun as they can possibly get, so if there's a roof over the balcony, they might grow weak and spindley. In the ground, I usually plant them about a foot apart in rows with two foot between rows.

I assume you want to grow sweet corn, I don't recall any dwarf sweet corn varieties but the early season ones tend to be shorter anyway.

Yes, lots of sun and regular watering, can't skimp on that. I don't know about doing 4x4 but what about two rows (taking up about 3 feet wide) going the full seven feet along the outside of the balcony? Well I guess that would be closer to 4 feet wide and seven feet long.
I guess if you have at least 7 feet clearance overhead and get plenty of sun for most of the day, it could be done. Corn does suck up a lot of nutrients, so you would have to start with some nutrient rich soil and if it starts to stint add in more.
Experiments are fun, so if you think you have the minimum requirements to theoretically do it, go for it!

Tomatoes do well in containers. I grew them quite a few years in the large buckets that kitty litter comes in. I drilled about half dozen 1-inch holes in the bottom of each bucket and planted my tomatoes, put a cage in each bucket and had lots of wonderful tomatoes.
That is a good idea, Katie, since I have lots of empty litter buckets. ;)

I don't know about doing 4x4 but what about two rows (taking up about 3 feet wide) going the full seven feet along the outside of the balcony?

I know!:)

A minimum of four rows is always recommended, to unsure enough wind pollination for the corn kernels...

"Corn requires plenty of space and as much sun as you can give it. For best results, plant corn in blocks of a minimum of four rows. Short rows are actually better than long rows in terms of increasing pollination. Short, so-called "block" planting encourages pollination the most."

You seriously have the “Green Acres” syndrome. LOL. The thing I am wondering about is the sun light. Corn is something that is usually grown in open fields. Gets direct sun from dawn to dusk. I don’t know if you will get nearly enough sunlight. If you were growing it on the roof of your building, it might work, as long as you do not have taller buildings around you. You might be able to find some kind of hybrid seed that does not require as much sun. If you have an uncovered, south facing balcony, you might have a chance.

Back
Top Bottom