Cubenelle peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I don't like cubenelle (sp) peppers, or at least I didn't until this week. We grow them and have picked them when they were pale green. I find the flavor lacking. I brought a bunch home from the farm--meant to chop them up and toss them in the freezer--got busy and didn't get around to it (or is that a roundtoit?). I hosted a Pampered Chef party on Tuesday and put together a veggie platter to go with the dips. Well, I had left the cubenelle peppers on the table--they had turned orange but were still firm--so, since I had to clear the table, they went on the veggie tray. They are soooo sweet when they are actually ripe. We don't have a long enough growing season to have them ripen on the vine. Now I like them, but not green, I want them orange. Everyone loved those and the raw kohlrabi slices--several had never had raw kohlrabi, whereas, I've only eaten it raw.

Last edited:
I haven't grown them for a few years now, but I used to make stuffed cubanelle peppers. They were a little fussy, but delicious. Seems to me the stuffing was a mixture of hot Italian sausage and rice. And yes, they are much better when fully ripe.

I enjoy them fried or stuffed.

A stuffing of four cheeses and a few breadcrumbs is very nice. You just fill them with ricotta, a melting cheese or two and a dry cheese mixed with some breadcrumbs and an egg then broil or bake them until they collapse and the insides are hot and gooey.

They are also nice stuffed with meatball mix and then tossed in a pot of sauce to cook.

When you stuff these small peppers snip off the end so the air can escape as the stuffing goes in.

I like to fry the green ones with onions, fresh garlic and chopped fresh tomatoes. Sometimes I add red bells and sausage.

I don't like cubenelle (sp) peppers, or at least I didn't until this week. We grow them and have picked them when they were pale green. I find the flavor lacking. I brought a bunch home from the farm--meant to chop them up and toss them in the freezer--got busy and didn't get around to it (or is that a roundtoit?). I hosted a Pampered Chef party on Tuesday and put together a veggie platter to go with the dips. Well, I had left the cubenelle peppers on the table--they had turned orange but were still firm--so, since I had to clear the table, they went on the veggie tray. They are soooo sweet when they are actually ripe. We don't have a long enough growing season to have them ripen on the vine. Now I like them, but not green, I want them orange. Everyone loved those and the raw kohlrabi slices--several had never had raw kohlrabi, whereas, I've only eaten it raw.
CWS,
my favorite way with these peppers is slice into rings, then fry in evoo, place on papper towels and salt lightly. They are so nummy. Messy but nummy.
kades

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom