"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 07-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

At first glance, I was inclined to agree with Claire. However, the OP says he had the same problem last year. I suspect that it is, indeed, a pollination issue. Living on the fifth floor (I am assuming it is an apartment building) might be an issue, although I'm sure bees can fly that high. Do you live in an area where the city sprays for mosquitoes? That activity may serve to reduce the population of the insects that normally carry out pollination.
If that is the case, I am not sure what the solution would be. I reckon you could hand pollinate them but I have no idea how to go about that.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to danpeikes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
At first glance, I was inclined to agree with Claire. However, the OP says he had the same problem last year. I suspect that it is, indeed, a pollination issue. Living on the fifth floor (I am assuming it is an apartment building) might be an issue, although I'm sure bees can fly that high. Do you live in an area where the city sprays for mosquitoes? That activity may serve to reduce the population of the insects that normally carry out pollination.
If that is the case, I am not sure what the solution would be. I reckon you could hand pollinate them but I have no idea how to go about that.
Going to try and hand pollinate with a q-tip and see what happens. Just hoping it is not to late.

danpeikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
Head Chef

Looks like poor pollination to me, too, and that cuke is overripe. Those funny shaped cukes are fine to eat. If you still have flowers, it is not to late to hand pollinate--just make a little buzzy noise, hold the q-tip in your mouth, and fly from flower to flower. Don't sting anyone.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Looks like poor pollination to me, too, and that cuke is overripe. Those funny shaped cukes are fine to eat. If you still have flowers, it is not to late to hand pollinate--just make a little buzzy noise, hold the q-tip in your mouth, and fly from flower to flower. Don't sting anyone.
And try not to fly off the balcony....
Old 07-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #15
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Could be one of three things contributing to the problem: uneven watering (most likely), too much heat ((in combination with uneven watering), might be not enough sun.