Cucumbers are turning round and yellow. What do I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
My cucumbers are turning round and yellow(See attachment). I had this problem last year. I got one good this year and then it started happening again. Help!!! Thanks in Advanced.

Attachments

• IMAG0441.jpg
    IMAG0441.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 853
I'm wondering if their plants got cross pollinated...cucumbers will cross with pumpkins and squash. I would see if anyone else who bought them had the same problem, call the seller.

did some research. looks like it might be poor pollination as opposed to cross pollination. I am on the fifth floor so that could be the problem.

By no means is my situation a clinical study, but i bought my cuke plants and planted them in two different areas of my garden. One site is significantly more ideal than the other ( sun, watering..). The ideal spot shows very few cukes that look like yours, yet, the other site, the cukes are smaller, not ideal shape ( similar than yours), not as plentyful, and much slower at growing. All plants came from the same flat. So in my situation, it seems to be a location issue.

The yellowness is an over ripe thing though. Even if the cukes are kinda short and round, the over ripeness seems to be more related to its girth , than length.

I have to laugh at this one. Where did you get your seeds? There is a variety of cucumber, cannot remember what it is called, something like lemon cucumber, that is round and yellow. I've grown them here and we used to grow them and buy them when I was a kid living in Utah. There is nothing wrong with them, they are what they are, a different variety. They simply are round and yellow (when ripe). This is what this looks like to me. I've bought seeds for them from an heirloom seed company. If your seeds are "rescued", that is to say, passed on from someone else or re-used from previous years, you might have a cross polination thing going.

At first glance, I was inclined to agree with Claire. However, the OP says he had the same problem last year. I suspect that it is, indeed, a pollination issue. Living on the fifth floor (I am assuming it is an apartment building) might be an issue, although I'm sure bees can fly that high. Do you live in an area where the city sprays for mosquitoes? That activity may serve to reduce the population of the insects that normally carry out pollination.
If that is the case, I am not sure what the solution would be. I reckon you could hand pollinate them but I have no idea how to go about that.

At first glance, I was inclined to agree with Claire. However, the OP says he had the same problem last year. I suspect that it is, indeed, a pollination issue. Living on the fifth floor (I am assuming it is an apartment building) might be an issue, although I'm sure bees can fly that high. Do you live in an area where the city sprays for mosquitoes? That activity may serve to reduce the population of the insects that normally carry out pollination.
If that is the case, I am not sure what the solution would be. I reckon you could hand pollinate them but I have no idea how to go about that.

Going to try and hand pollinate with a q-tip and see what happens. Just hoping it is not to late.

Looks like poor pollination to me, too, and that cuke is overripe. Those funny shaped cukes are fine to eat. If you still have flowers, it is not to late to hand pollinate--just make a little buzzy noise, hold the q-tip in your mouth, and fly from flower to flower. Don't sting anyone. :ermm:

Looks like poor pollination to me, too, and that cuke is overripe. Those funny shaped cukes are fine to eat. If you still have flowers, it is not to late to hand pollinate--just make a little buzzy noise, hold the q-tip in your mouth, and fly from flower to flower. Don't sting anyone. :ermm:
And try not to fly off the balcony....:ermm:

Could be one of three things contributing to the problem: uneven watering (most likely), too much heat ((in combination with uneven watering), might be not enough sun.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom