Currant Tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpmcgrew

Executive Chef
:) I ordered some Currant Tomato seeds for next year. They are grown in South America and Hawaii they grow in clusters and are so small only four of them will fit on a dime. Anyone heard of these?

They're cute, Ill definitely give it a go next season. Looks like something great to throw in a salad, although picking them might be a little tedious. Also, nice to snack on while out in the garden

They sound yummy but I have a pet Peking duck named Waldo who loves my cherry tomatoes will chase them like a dog, well he would strip the plants clean. He is in charge of the side yard so much so he stole our fish pond and ate all the water hyacinths.

i have grown them for a couple of years now. A friend gave me a plant one year that she got from MSU's Agricultural center. They are really cute and loaded with flavor. I put mine in the garden and they grew about 10 feet tall. Drooping over the fence they looked beautiful. I just save some seeds for the next year and start all over again. I don't know why they wouldn't work in a container, a large container though! Someone once told me that the success to container gardening is too fool the plant into thinking it's growing in the garden. I use those large tubs that trees are sold in at the nurseries. Try the container and let us know how things grow!

:) I have never grown them stumbled upon them looking at other tomato seeds. With 25 seeds per pack one could try growing some in containers and some in the ground. I'm excited to try these.

I grew white currant tomatoes this summer. They are immense plants full of zillions of tomatoes that are so sweet that I think you could dry them for raisins.

They don't keep very well, unless you clip the bunches off the vine with a pair of scissors. If you just pull the tomatoes off, they split and rot very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom