Deciding what to grow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmmm, only 5 ... it's tough to narrow that down, I guess:

1>Tomatoes
2>An herb garden (do the # of varieties count? Parsely, oregano, rosemary, thyme, basil, etc.)
3>Garlic
4>Peppers (hot, bell, etc as CK above)
5>Silver Queen corn (IMHO, the very best hybrid)

Summer veg: Tomatoes, onions, courgettes, sweetcorn and peas
Winter: Cauliflowers, purple sprouting, Brussels sprouts (my partner loves them...) and, to carry us over into spring/early summer, broad beans and mangetout (they plant them in November where I am and somehow they manage to survive the -12ºC at night).

Like some here, I, too, count and herb garden as one veg! I'm getting ready to plant one for a blind friend so she can just brush against them and smell. For regular vegs, mostly you have to plant what you and your family will eat. I have a large number of friends who do not like raw tomatoes!! But to me, living somewhere you can grow a great tomato is a real treat (in both Florida and Hawaii they just weren't all that great). For some reason my taster went off a few years ago, but I used to love to grow cucumbers. Very easy. If you have children, you must try green beans ... they come up so quickly, so they're great for kids. Peppers of whatever kind you like (my favorite is a variety called Super Cayenne, I string and dry them every fall, then throw them in the food processor and use them throughout the winter). I try various other stuff, with mixed results. Zuchini (courgettes) and eggplant (aubergine). But my big staples are my tomatoes, my peppers (the aforementioned super cayennes and poblamos), and my herb garden.

Trust me, it is pert near impossible to intentionally grow morels. At least, it has not been done before. That remains one of natures mysteries. You can only find them in the woods.
Then I guess if you want to grow morels, you have to plant trees! :LOL:

:)Barbara

After a week of rain I get to plant today. The veggies I will put in are to supplement what comes from the organic farm co-op. A flat of basil, two pacs of betterboy tomatoes, one pac of sweet one million tomates,two pacs of parsley, one pac of celantro and one pac of white eggplant. they are all four pacs. Putting in three flats of white vinca around the front beds

Back
Top Bottom