Deciding what to grow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garband

Cook
The weather is [finally] warming up, and it's time to get on it, but I'm having trouble deciding what to plant this year...

So I pose this question:

If you could only grow five things, what would they be?

pot, tomatoes, zucchini, scallions, basil!!
kidding, kidding, i don't even like the THOUGHT of pot!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
i'd grow sage instead.

i'd grow sage instead.
lol
If I even joked about growing pot my parents would flip (I'm 18 :-p). On top of that, my neighbors would steal it. lol
tomatos, eggplant, lettuce, green onions and spinach. love fresh salad
How different does cooked and uncooked eggplant taste? I may be tempted to grow some eggplant if it's different raw. I can't stand the stuff when it's cooked. lol :-p
garlic (planted last fall)
onions
celery
tomatoes
carrots
spinach
and parsley:LOL:
I didn't even think of garlic. That's a must have.

And, I think I should've made some stipulations... I figured tomato, onions, and spinach/lettuce would be really common. ;)

he-he, garband, my Mum would place me over her knee if i was a stoner, ha, ha! & i'm 28!

lol
If I even joked about growing pot my parents would flip (I'm 18 :-p). On top of that, my neighbors would steal it. lol

How different does cooked and uncooked eggplant taste? I may be tempted to grow some eggplant if it's different raw. I can't stand the stuff when it's cooked. lol :-p

I didn't even think of garlic. That's a must have.

And, I think I should've made some stipulations... I figured tomato, onions, and spinach/lettuce would be really common. ;)

i use baby egg plant or other small variety of egg plants. just chop in bite size pieces. it is crispy and i like the taste. specially good with a vinegar dressing.

lol

well in that case:)

sweet potatoes
yukon gold potatoes
sweet corn
green and hot peppers
basil

can't grow eggplant here because of the bugs, flea beetles.

tomatoes
peppers
beans
peas
and chickens from chicken seed (somehow it never works out)! :LOL:

I try to time my plantings so that I can get more things in over the seasons. I've had white and yellow onions growing since last fall that'll be ready just as the okra starts getting tall. I just put up several rows of beets and potatoes making room for winter squash and bush beans I have started in pots. I still have a few collards hanging on but most everything will be gone before the winter squash and pumpkins take over. I also have two tomato plants. Two plants will make more than enough tomatoes for my family.

So I guess my list would be:

collards, onions, beets, potatoes for winter and early spring
tomatoes, squash, bush beans, and okra for late spring/summer

i'd grow sage instead.
Good! If you have any doubts, just ask my cousin how he enjoyed prison!

If I could only grow five things it would be:

1. Tomatoes
2. Zucchini
(If I only grew two, those would be the two)
3. Onions
4. Banana squash
5. Watermelon

:)Barbara

Last edited:
I would plant the expensive things that I love but don't buy often:

cipollini onions
porcinni mushrooms
morels
artichokes
fingerling potatoes

I would plant the expensive things that I love but don't buy often:

cipollini onions
porcinni mushrooms
morels
artichokes
fingerling potatoes

That's a good idea. I researched morels to see if that was something I could grow but it's mysterious to how these grow, why, when, and how long it takes to figure out.
The onions and potatoes would be fairly easy.

I can grape leaves--because they are so expensive to buy canned and free along fence lines, the best time to pick them is June when they are tender, canning them is easy.

That's a good idea. I researched morels to see if that was something I could grow but it's mysterious to how these grow, why, when, and how long it takes to figure out.
The onions and potatoes would be fairly easy.

I can grape leaves--because they are so expensive to buy canned and free along fence lines, the best time to pick them is June when they are tender, canning them is easy.

Trust me, it is pert near impossible to intentionally grow morels. At least, it has not been done before. That remains one of natures mysteries. You can only find them in the woods.

5? 5? No fair! I would just be getting started with my herbs.
*Sigh*
1. Tomatoes for sure. I haven't had a good home grown tomato in years. I tried growing them in Florida and the mocking birds would eat them just as they were getting red.
2. Umm, same with Silver Queen sweet corn.
3. Onions, what would life be without onions? ;)
4. Green beans
5. Peppers, any kind I could get my hands on. Hot,bell, etc.

And then plz someone show me where to find the cattle seed, cause I cain't live without a hamburger or steak. :ROFLMAO:

Trust me, it is pert near impossible to intentionally grow morels. At least, it has not been done before. That remains one of natures mysteries. You can only find them in the woods.

This guy has been trying since 2007--still no morels :huh:. I hope he didn't pay a whole lot of moolah for his kit.

My Morels

Back
Top Bottom