Diaster strikes tomato seedlings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carolelaine

Senior Cook
DH left all of my baby plants out yesterday on this make shift shelf and the wind blew it over and they were all dumped out on the ground. I have some seeds left, one of these varieties are from my great grandmother and I would have a fit if I lost this particular one. I have never planted from seed this late in the year. Has anyone else in the zone 6ish area.

I suppose the issue is the heat later on for your tomatoes.....
I just started all my seeds today, i would think you can still grow some decent tomatoes even with the high heat.

My tomatoes are started but not doing very well. I have them inside a potting shed on a heat mat but I think they need warmer weather. Hope yours survive the fall. Roy

you should be ok if you start again right away. you can't tell what the weather will be, so i hope luck is on your side for a few weeks of below 90 weather. if not, don't sweat it and give it a go.

squzie, from what i've heard and experienced, tomato pollen/flowers won't do their little dance if the temp is in the high 80's or higher.

fortunately, termaters are vining plants with lots of stored energy, so even in a rough season or with a late start, you can get a crop out of them. they really want to reproduce.

carol, you could consider floating row cover once the new seedlings are established to help protect them from direct sun. and water in the early mornings so they are ready for the day.

You'll be fine. Tomato seedlings are ready to plant 6 weeks after germination, so you should have them in the ground before Memorial Day. They don't do much but set there until the soil gets warm, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom