"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 07-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
Head Chef

Does anyone love roses?

I adore roses. Ever since I was a little girl I have longed for a rose garden of my own.

When I went to college, on campus there was a magical rose garden with a lily pool in the center. I used to spend hours there just breathing the scented breeze and enjoying the beauty.

Last year I decided I had waited long enough. I went hog wild buying over 60 packaged roses and planted them on a little hillock by my back porch. Some flourished and some didn't. That did not deter me. I mulched thickly with hay to keep the weeds out and planted wild garlic to keep aphids out and because I think wild garlic tastes better than cultivated varieties. I added a truckload of aged horse and cow manure from a farmer friend's house, alfalfa cubes, and epsom salts to fertilize the bed.

I transplanted violets from the lawn to the rose garden, and I planted tulips and daffodils in clusters last fall.

A friend with a Bobcat dug me a little lily pool which I planted with dwarf waterlilies and added big goldfish. A recirculating fountain was purchased at an auction for $22.

I replaced some of the roses with potted Knockout roses on clearance last year, and I recently bought 10 more potted Knockout roses and 8 more hybrid tea roses on clearance for between $2.50 and $3.25 each.

I am still transplanting violets into the garden, and I plan to plant daisies, more tulips, and more daffodils.

These are photos of the lily pool and garden last year.

And I bought this sign for the garden.

I will take photos in a couple of days of this year's garden if anyone is interested.

Does anyone else love roses like I do?

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I have one of those signs... somewhere.
I got it from my one uncle's house about 40 years ago. He had it in his garden.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
Cook

The pond and garden are beautiful! Roses are my favorite flower as well.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I had a beautiful rose garden at the house Buck and I shared. Couldn't take any of them with me to the house Glenn and I now share, so I'll have to start from scratch. That's good, though, because I now know which roses I truly love and those I can do without.

However, a rose garden is waaaaaaay down on the list right now because there are so many other wonderful things here that I can wait for my rose garden when I can do it right. I DO know that I'll have a Kordes Perfecta because it's one of my all-time favorite roses. Beautiful! And one blossom can perfume a whole room.

I, too, love roses.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

You know what my favorite flowers are, blue clips and tickseed, like the Creme Brulee. Those things come back year after year and flower the whole season. And unlike roses (I have 5 or 6 of the knock outs), they aren't littered with dead blossoms inbetween blooms. Give me no maintenance every day of the week.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Head Chef

I like roses in theory. In reality, I don't like dealing with the thorns and disease. Your garden looks lovely, but I will stick with peonies, lilies, coneflowers etc. :)

I do have a knockout that was pretty this spring, but the Japanese beetles are stripping it down to bare stems right now. (The coneflowers and lilies are untouched.)
Old 07-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
II DO know that I'll have a Kordes Perfecta because it's one of my all-time favorite roses. Beautiful! And one blossom can perfume a whole room.

I, too, love roses.
I will diligently look for this rose asap!!!!

Thanks for telling me about it. What other roses do you recommend? There is always room for a few more roses at my house!
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
Old 07-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
Everymom

I love roses too. I have a special fondness for the wild rose though. We have one in our backyard that is HUGE and taking over. I'm having a tough time pruning that bugger though because the thorns are so sharp and pervasive. I'll be looking forward to seeing all your photos!
Old 07-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I love roses too. I have a special fondness for the wild rose though. We have one in our backyard that is HUGE and taking over. I'm having a tough time pruning that bugger though because the thorns are so sharp and pervasive. I'll be looking forward to seeing all your photos!

Thanks everybody. I will post the photos asap. I hope you understand, that I am a neophyte rose gardener and overlook any deficiencies.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
Everymom

My wild rose is finished blooming for the year but I'll try and post a photo for you to see how enormous it is. I'll try to get one of the thorns too.