Dwarf Fruit Trees

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kathleen

Cupcake
While looking at lighting in Home Depot, I took a detour through the garden center. They have fruit trees on sale for 50% off. Now, I have a tiny yard. Seriously small, but they had dwarf trees that I think could work out. I'm thinking of the dwarf fig tree or a dwarf apple tree.

Has anyone grown figs? How hard are they to grow and did they need a pollinator?

I know apple trees need a pollinator, but the neighbor has an apple tree.

Thought about a pear tree, but it also needs a pollinator and no one has a pear tree around here.

I'd love a small cherry tree....no go on their lot.

All of these are dwarf varieties. Has anyone had experience with dwarf fruit trees?

~Kathleen

Regardless of any fruit tree I get, I try to get at least two varieties to assist with pollination. I have a brown turkey and a celleste fig. Not sure where you are in the mid atlantic but make sure that they are not selling trees that does not work the int USDA zone you are in. I live in North GA which is zone 7B and we had temps last winter to 5 and it killed both of my 12 year old figs to the ground. they are coming back but no figs this year. I only buy dwarf fruit trees and my oldest one (pear) is 13 years old and is about 12-15 feet tall before i prune it back each year and probably a 8-10 foot diameter foot print. prunning is key to controlling the height too. The tags on each one should tell the mature tree size. if you put them in the ground now, you should mulch really well to hold moisture and protect the young roots from freezing this winter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom