Favorite cooking tomato?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you cook them down you should be able to get more into your freezer and perhaps they'll stay sweeter.

my goal is to make soups and sauces and then freeze them. but we only have the small freezer above the fridge and it is useually quite full anyway. I do have a vacume sealer which I love and I hope will ward off freezer burn.

what about amish paste? it is a roma.
or bloddy butcher? it is suppost to be early and produces through fall. does it make good soup?

Definately Romas! I grow 36 tomato plants each year, starting them from seeds in my "makeshift" greenhouse inside. I usually have 8 to 10 roma plants and they produce from July to frost. Because they are determinate, a small tomato cage is all you need, although many don't even cage their determinates.

Another favorite is Brandywine. These succulent tomatoes are pinkish red when ripe, quite large like a beefsteak, and pretty much disease resistant.

The key to growing tomatoes without cracks is even watering. Here in Illinois, that can be a Mother Nature challenge. I use the hoses with little holes in them and water at ground level 1/2 hour per day, 1 hour when really dry.

I order all my seeds from Burpee as well. They have a new variety this year that I'm dying to try...a seedless tomato!!!

....The key to growing tomatoes without cracks is even watering. Here in Illinois, that can be a Mother Nature challenge. I use the hoses with little holes in them and water at ground level 1/2 hour per day, 1 hour when really dry.

that will be my biggest problem. we can't grow food in our yards. and even the flowers get treated badly by the lawn care maintence team (they ran over my azalea bush with a lawnmower and sprayed my poor glads to death :( ). we have garden plots for growing food. last year though I couldn't get ahold of the person in charge of assigning them so I didn't get one, but I heard there were some left over. this year I will start bugging the neighborhood center sooner (like just after the new year) and hopefully get one. But I have no idea how the watering works. Hopefully there is a faucet or something and I won't have to lug buckets because that just will not happen. I am also hopeing that I can somehow get one within walking distance of my house, but I think that they are about 2miles from me. Ill figure it out.........

Fresh cherry tomatoes!

I like to fry them up to make fresh pasta sauce.

Last edited by a moderator:
For cooking, definetly Roma's. I will however use whatever tomato that I have in abundance when my plants ripen all at the same time:)

Overall, I'd agree with most, romas. THat said, I love raw tomatoes, I live for the months when I can eat them.

Every year I grow "early girls" because they are; that is to say, early and we have a short season here.

Last year I bought an heirloom variety plant called "Amish Paste Tomato" It was even meatier than the romas, more flesh to seed, if you know what I mean. I still have sauce in the freezer. Since the main reason for me to grow tomatoes is to eat them raw, I wasn't thrilled with their overall flavor (I like a good, acid-y flavor in a raw tomato), but they sure as heck made a great tomato sauce.

We always grow Heinz. It is a nice size, with a nice flavor and good for eating raw and canning and cooking. I always don't like a Roma for cooking. Sometimes I don't want a thick sauce type tomato. If I am cooking with rice I prefer a tomato with more juice. Heinz fills the bill. And yes they are supposed to be the ones that Heinz uses for their ketchup.

well, for eating on a sandwich nothing beats the beefsteak (preferably Jersey or PA...local for me)

For a salad, the green zebra is pure heaven.

For cooking as in sauce soups stews or roasting as a veg, the Roma wins my vote hands down. Even in winter when they are more orange than red, they roast with garlic basil and olive oil, s and p in a 400* oven for an hour and are just wonderful

what is your favorite tomato to cook with? I am not a fan of eating raw tomatoes, but I love soup, salsa, marinara, etc. At the store I am limited to a few varieties, but if I can manage to get a garden plot this year I can grow whatever I want. so what is your favorite tomato to cook with?
for me it's ripe red tomatoes for BLTS, but for my Spanish dishes it's tomotaos, Although they're not technically a tomato.

Back
Top Bottom