"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 12-23-2008, 06:33 AM   #11
Head Chef

There was a roma variety I grew the past few years , i think it was called 'salsa' . It was supposed to have the fewest amount of seeds, and the thickest amount of flesh. Worked great for cooking, but when eating them fresh they were a little pasty. Also , the benefit of growing romas as opposed to the larger varieties of tomatoes is that the plant usually produces more tomatoes and quicker/ earlier in the season. I had one plant that produced tomatoes the size of grapefruits, but only about a dozen per plant, and didnt pick them until september, where as the romas produced 40 - 50 tomatoes per plant and started picking them in july. I try to grow a few varieties so i have a constant supply from july through october. then, make sauce and freeze them. I still have about 30 quarts outside in the freezer. should last me til the spring.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:14 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Roma here too. I dont have enough variety up here to have a number 2.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:40 AM   #13
Executive Chef

San Marzanos are great unless they succumb to VF.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Canned San Marzanos. I really like Beefsteaks fresh on salads, burgers or as a caprese.....or even just with salt.

God, I can't wait til summer.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:08 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Romas and cherry/grape varietals in the summer from farm stands.

32oz. cans of low-sodium Romas are in stock at all times as well.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:31 AM   #16
Senior Cook

In general, Romas.

Other than that, I typically go for the heirlooms. If I just wanna eat a tomato, I reach for beefsteak.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:52 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
There was a roma variety I grew the past few years , i think it was called 'salsa' . It was supposed to have the fewest amount of seeds, and the thickest amount of flesh. Worked great for cooking, but when eating them fresh they were a little pasty. Also , the benefit of growing romas as opposed to the larger varieties of tomatoes is that the plant usually produces more tomatoes and quicker/ earlier in the season. I had one plant that produced tomatoes the size of grapefruits, but only about a dozen per plant, and didnt pick them until september, where as the romas produced 40 - 50 tomatoes per plant and started picking them in july. I try to grow a few varieties so i have a constant supply from july through october. then, make sauce and freeze them. I still have about 30 quarts outside in the freezer. should last me til the spring.
the salsa variety sounds great. Where do you get the seeds/plants? What other varieties do you grow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Canned San Marzanos. I really like Beefsteaks fresh on salads, burgers or as a caprese.....or even just with salt.

God, I can't wait til summer.
I might have to learn to can since our freezer isn't that big. I keep hoping I can just talk my husband into a bigger freezer

I can't wait until spring so I can work outside with my plants. but for now I can just plan and order seeds

san marzano sounds good too. especilly according to wiki which says that it breeds true from generation to generation so once I get some I can just keep it going year to year.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:20 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tash11 View Post
the salsa variety sounds great. Where do you get the seeds/plants? What other varieties do you grow?

I might have to learn to can since our freezer isn't that big. I keep hoping I can just talk my husband into a bigger freezer

I can't wait until spring so I can work outside with my plants. but for now I can just plan and order seeds

san marzano sounds good too. especilly according to wiki which says that it breeds true from generation to generation so once I get some I can just keep it going year to year.
If you cook them down you should be able to get more into your freezer and perhaps they'll stay sweeter.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:27 PM   #19
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher View Post
Romas and cherry/grape varietals in the summer from farm stands.
Romas all the way here as well. I do like cherry tomatoes to "confit" or poach in olive oil, or to roast and add to dishes.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:44 PM   #20
Head Chef

Tomato Fresh Salsa - Midseason, Midsize Tomatoes - Tomatoes - Vegetables - Burpee

This is the link for the salsa tomatoes at burpee.com

I usually try to grow a few different varieties/ sizes each year to allow me to do what I want and to have a steady stream of tomatoes throughout the summer -early fall.

As far as specific varieties, I vary from year to year and most i dont remember. If I do come across a variety I was happy with, Ill let you know.