Favorite cooking tomato?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tash11

Assistant Cook
what is your favorite tomato to cook with? I am not a fan of eating raw tomatoes, but I love soup, salsa, marinara, etc. At the store I am limited to a few varieties, but if I can manage to get a garden plot this year I can grow whatever I want. so what is your favorite tomato to cook with?

During the garden season I cook with whatever the farm markets have brought in that day. Freshness trumps variety. During the long winter months i buy the Roma tomatoes since they last the longest in the refrigerator and are the least objectionable as to taste.

During the garden season I cook with whatever the farm markets have brought in that day. Freshness trumps variety. During the long winter months i buy the Roma tomatoes since they last the longest in the refrigerator and are the least objectionable as to taste.

but if I grow it myself then I know it will be fresh ;)

I was thinking roma. But there are soooo many varieties I just don't know if there is something else we might like.

ok. Roma is #1....

so then what is your #2? (If I feel up to it and can get a garden plot this year I would like to try 2-3 tomatoes)

There was a roma variety I grew the past few years , i think it was called 'salsa' . It was supposed to have the fewest amount of seeds, and the thickest amount of flesh. Worked great for cooking, but when eating them fresh they were a little pasty. Also , the benefit of growing romas as opposed to the larger varieties of tomatoes is that the plant usually produces more tomatoes and quicker/ earlier in the season. I had one plant that produced tomatoes the size of grapefruits, but only about a dozen per plant, and didnt pick them until september, where as the romas produced 40 - 50 tomatoes per plant and started picking them in july. I try to grow a few varieties so i have a constant supply from july through october. then, make sauce and freeze them. I still have about 30 quarts outside in the freezer. should last me til the spring.

Canned San Marzanos. I really like Beefsteaks fresh on salads, burgers or as a caprese.....or even just with salt.

God, I can't wait til summer.

In general, Romas.

Other than that, I typically go for the heirlooms. If I just wanna eat a tomato, I reach for beefsteak.

There was a roma variety I grew the past few years , i think it was called 'salsa' . It was supposed to have the fewest amount of seeds, and the thickest amount of flesh. Worked great for cooking, but when eating them fresh they were a little pasty. Also , the benefit of growing romas as opposed to the larger varieties of tomatoes is that the plant usually produces more tomatoes and quicker/ earlier in the season. I had one plant that produced tomatoes the size of grapefruits, but only about a dozen per plant, and didnt pick them until september, where as the romas produced 40 - 50 tomatoes per plant and started picking them in july. I try to grow a few varieties so i have a constant supply from july through october. then, make sauce and freeze them. I still have about 30 quarts outside in the freezer. should last me til the spring.

the salsa variety sounds great. Where do you get the seeds/plants? What other varieties do you grow?

Canned San Marzanos. I really like Beefsteaks fresh on salads, burgers or as a caprese.....or even just with salt.

God, I can't wait til summer.

I might have to learn to can since our freezer isn't that big. I keep hoping I can just talk my husband into a bigger freezer :LOL:

I can't wait until spring so I can work outside with my plants. but for now I can just plan and order seeds :)

san marzano sounds good too. especilly according to wiki which says that it breeds true from generation to generation so once I get some I can just keep it going year to year. :)

the salsa variety sounds great. Where do you get the seeds/plants? What other varieties do you grow?

I might have to learn to can since our freezer isn't that big. I keep hoping I can just talk my husband into a bigger freezer :LOL:

I can't wait until spring so I can work outside with my plants. but for now I can just plan and order seeds :)

san marzano sounds good too. especilly according to wiki which says that it breeds true from generation to generation so once I get some I can just keep it going year to year. :)

If you cook them down you should be able to get more into your freezer and perhaps they'll stay sweeter.

Tomato Fresh Salsa - Midseason, Midsize Tomatoes - Tomatoes - Vegetables - Burpee

This is the link for the salsa tomatoes at burpee.com

I usually try to grow a few different varieties/ sizes each year to allow me to do what I want and to have a steady stream of tomatoes throughout the summer -early fall.

As far as specific varieties, I vary from year to year and most i dont remember. If I do come across a variety I was happy with, Ill let you know.

Back
Top Bottom