Fresh herbs favorites..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a pic of my spice garden from last year ( just steps off the patio, just outside the kitchen door)

Basil
Bay leaf
Parsley
Parsley
Oregano
Sage
Rosemary
Thyme
Chives
Dill
( I have a few different kinds of mints in other areas of the yard, to keep them from spreading like crazy)

Attachments

• Spice garden.jpg
    Spice garden.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 305
Yours looks so much prettier than my herb gardens, Larry! Mine are all willy-nilly everywhere, though my mints are buried in pots. Even so, there are plenty of escapees.

Last edited:
Yours looks so much prettier than my herb gardens, Larry! Mine are all willy-nilly everywhere, though my mints are buried in pots. Even so, there are plenty of escapees.

This was last year, probably at its best time.
I don't share the sloppy, late season, out of control, weed filled, ugly pics :ROFLMAO:

Im in the process of redoing that spice area, probably get the plants in , in a few weeks, although my bay leaf, sage and oregano seemed to have weathered the winter, so I got a head start on them.

I call my oregano Godzilla. It snarfs up everything around it. I did see some creeping thyme coming back that it didn't smother. No show for the sage.

Chives are drop-dead gorgeous this year. They're in a different spot.

Last edited:
I know! I'm envious. Mine looks like junk in comparison!

Last edited:
I have having good luck growing Basil. Need to post a pic. This stuff is growing like crazy. Click and Grow sent me one of their indoor garden kits for a video. I must say that so far I am really liking it. It grows a lot of bails in a small space and all that I need to do is add water.

When it comes to a herb garden, I really miss our first home. It was right off of our front porch, one step down from the porch to grade. Clockwise from the porch pad, the other three sides of the garden were the garage foundation, the front walk from the driveway - which then made a 90-degree turn towards the porch. I had a perfect 4x8 patch of dirt, and used gathered stones to make it three-tiered. A circular spot in the middle held camomile. Then I sectioned the rest of the dirt into four pie-shaped areas. Had the usual suspects like thyme, oregano, sage, parsley...probably around a dozen altogether. It was a small porch, no rails, and just enough room for a porch rocker next to the door. Although I enjoyed clipping fresh herbs for cooking (loved making chicken stuffing with the fresh stuff), I really loved sitting out there when there was a gentle rain. It smelled so good! Neither house has a decent site for a herb garden at all. I swear the next house will be decided on based on potential garden sites. ;)

Here's a pic of my spice garden from last year...
Oh, that is gorgeous, Larry. Is that a banana tree over to the left? If so, do you overwinter it in a greenhouse? I had a couple tropical plants that I would in-and-out during the year, but when they finally conked out I didn't bother with more.

. Is that a banana tree over to the left? If so, do you overwinter it in a greenhouse? I had a couple tropical plants that I would in-and-out during the year, but when they finally conked out I didn't bother with more.

Yes, its a banana tree. I got one about 10 years ago through the internet. Each year I cut off all the leaves, dig it up, and drag it into a room in the garage that stays about a constant 50 -55 F throughout the winter. last year two of them even flowered and produced a bunch of very small, unripe bananas. Just the fact that I got them to flower up here in NY was exciting. Some, i just hack the tree to the root ball, dig that up and store it like that, but takes longer to get back to its size ( and I'm using them strictly for landscape, so I really want the size. And once, i must not have dug up the whole root, cause a sucker grew up out of the soil when spring arrived ( i didn't even mulch it or anything).

I think banana trees are technically considered an herb. So its fitting for this thread :)

Its amazing how many suckers they produce over the course of one season.

But I'm getting to old to drag these things in and out each winter.

I just bought some dwarf varieties, ill see how they do this year. Only supposed to get a few feet high.

the ones I have outside now get about 12 -15 feet, and the leaves are an impressive 4+ feet long and 1 - 1.5 feet wide.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom