Garden is in and scapes are getting cut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always do a couple experimental digs, esp. with a new variety, just to see how large the heads seem to be getting. However, I still dig them up based on the 35-40% yellowing leaves, so if they are to small, there's probably not enough time to put much size on them - I probably just do it out of habit.

I always do a couple experimental digs, esp. with a new variety, just to see how large the heads seem to be getting. However, I still dig them up based on the 35-40% yellowing leaves, so if they are to small, there's probably not enough time to put much size on them - I probably just do it out of habit.

We call it 'lookin' under the petticoats'.:LOL::LOL::LOL: "Hon, are you going out there to look under their petticoats?'

We also do this with potatoes if we are feeling curious.

I'm also prefer those large cloved garlics, @blissful. I hate peeling all those little cloves, when I need a tb or two of minced garlic! Estonian Red is a favorite of mine, and one of the largest, but not the best storing garlic, so I use it first. Siberian red is new to me, but is also very large. Metechi is an old favorite, with an intense flavor, and longer storage than most hardnecks, which is why I planted the more of that - 72 cloves - then 48 and 48 of the others.

Same here, I prefer the large cloves. Do you notice the difference in taste between your varieties? If so, how do you compare them? Raw? Roasted?
Where did you get your garlic?

I've been growing garlic for 3 seasons so I don't have a way of comparing my varieties. I need to do that. The varieties I have are: Ajo Rojo, Georgia Crystal, Purple Glazer, Asian Tempest, Polish Hardneck, German Red, Metechi, Blossom, Persian Star, German Extra Hardy, Inchellium Red, Music, Italian Easy Peel, Georgian Fire and Sun Moon Farm. The last one is probably a porcelain variety. The farmer doesn't know the name but it's been in his family for years.

Same here, I prefer the large cloves. Do you notice the difference in taste between your varieties? If so, how do you compare them? Raw? Roasted?
Where did you get your garlic?

I've been growing garlic for 3 seasons so I don't have a way of comparing my varieties. I need to do that. The varieties I have are: Ajo Rojo, Georgia Crystal, Purple Glazer, Asian Tempest, Polish Hardneck, German Red, Metechi, Blossom, Persian Star, German Extra Hardy, Inchellium Red, Music, Italian Easy Peel, Georgian Fire and Sun Moon Farm. The last one is probably a porcelain variety. The farmer doesn't know the name but it's been in his family for years.
I've grown a lot of those through the years, though never that many at once! Most I've grown at once were 5 varieties, but now it's usually 3 or 4. I usually start looking online in late July, and look for places that carry Estonian Red and Metechi, then maybe buy one or two more. This year I got 3 in one place, with free shipping - I have several garlic growers in the bookmarks on my PC, but I don't remember them - only a once a year thing, and they change all the time!

The flavors definitely vary, and I used to have a friend around that would do a garlic tasting with me every year! He moved away, and nobody else will do it! We would roast a head of each, and sample that first, and sample them raw last.
Parvin and Asian tempest were the two hottest we sampled. Some of the milder ones still made good roasted garlic, so when a new one tested quite mild, that's what I'd do with it.

That Italian ez peel variety was what it said - the peel comes right off. But, it doesn't store well, I guess since the peel doesn't cling to the cloves. So use those first.

Rocamboles are some of the strongest flavored varieties, but I had to stop growing them, as one year I had a VERY mild winter, and the cloves did not form heads! Turns out, they need a deep freeze to form heads - not a problem up your way, but I stopped growing rocamboles, since it could happen again to me. Porcelains and purple stripes are the ones I usually grow.

I usually start looking online in late July, and look for places that carry Estonian Red and Metechi, then maybe buy one or two more. This year I got 3 in one place, with free shipping - I have several garlic growers in the bookmarks on my PC, but I don't remember them - only a once a year thing, and they change all the time!

Am I understanding you correctly that you order new garlic every year? Do you ever replant some of the garlic that you grew?

That Italian ez peel variety was what it said - the peel comes right off...

Thanks for the commentary on the garlic. Interesting stuff.

Based on your name, I have to think that you grow hot peppers, right? Do you ever over-winter your pepper plants? I have done this for 2 years and it's a great way to plant and have instant peppers. Very easy to do. The only thing you have to do is to change the soil so you don't bring bugs into the house. That was my mistake the first time I did it. For a couple of weeks, I had tiny bugs flying around in my office until they died off.

Am I understanding you correctly that you order new garlic every year? Do you ever replant some of the garlic that you grew?
I have done that in the past, but I really don't have enough room to grow enough to plant and consume.
Based on your name, I have to think that you grow hot peppers, right? Do you ever over-winter your pepper plants? I have done this for 2 years and it's a great way to plant and have instant peppers. Very easy to do. The only thing you have to do is to change the soil so you don't bring bugs into the house. That was my mistake the first time I did it. For a couple of weeks, I had tiny bugs flying around in my office until they died off.
I did that many years ago, but didn't have much luck - seemed the plants all lost their leaves eventually, except for the superchili, which was the smallest plant, and still didn't get that strong, or many decent peppers on them. Seemed peppers needed more light than just a south window. And that south window now has my bay laurel, kaffir limes, and curry tree, that I have to bring in every fall, and there's not much room for more.

I have started peppers much earlier, back in Feb., instead of 4-1, my usual day, and got some ripe habaneros by around this date then. But they required two re-pottings, and were half gallon, nearly rootbound. So I just went back to my normal time - dried and frozen peppers keep long enough.

Do you ever over-winter your pepper plants? I have done this for 2 years and it's a great way to plant and have instant peppers. Very easy to do. The only thing you have to do is to change the soil so you don't bring bugs into the house. That was my mistake the first time I did it. For a couple of weeks, I had tiny bugs flying around in my office until they died off.

I tried with 6 plants and didn't quite work out all that well.
Actually , they all croaked.
Good thing I saved the seeds , but I really would like to over winter them successfully, so any tips would be appreciated.

I did that many years ago, but didn't have much luck - seemed the plants all lost their leaves eventually, except for the superchili

but I really would like to over winter them successfully, so any tips would be appreciated.

I wonder if you watered it too much? I don't do anything special. I bring them just before the killing frost. I have them on the floor in a water proof tray in front of a window. I water once per week. Probably a cup of water per plant if it's in a small pot. Nothing else.

Then sometime in February, the plant starts to take off as the day gets longer. I will see flower buds appear. You can pinch them off. Then I start bringing them outside in May when it's warm out. Initially in the shade so they don't get sunburned. Then plant them in the ground the first week of June for my area.

Don't get me wrong, I have killed some of my plants before. A few died the first year because of too much water I think. I think my success ratio is around 80%. I'll see if I can find some pictures of my previous plants.

I found a picture taken around Dec 25, 2017 of my overwintering pepper plants. You can see that 1 of the 6 is dead.

n1cqYd3.jpg

The technique I saw someone do ( which I did and failed miserably) was the guy took them in and pruned them significantly ( like practically down to nothing). pretty much made them go dormant until the following spring.

Mine have been dormant for 2 years :LOL:

lol two years! ha ha ha ha.

I once pruned back my manager's plant, brought him some plant food, then it died.

The technique I saw someone do ( which I did and failed miserably) was the guy took them in and pruned them significantly ( like practically down to nothing). pretty much made them go dormant until the following spring.

Mine have been dormant for 2 years :LOL:

Bummer. I did not do any pruning. I would suggest that if you want to try new techniques to experiment with a few new plants. This past winter, I did not bring any plants from the outdoors. Instead, I started new seedlings at the beginning of August and kept them in 4" deep pots all winter. They grew slowly.

My biggest problem is I dont have any good southern facing windows, and I have a bunch of cats ( who aren't too kind the the plants).

My windows are not the greatest especially after I got new Andersen windows last year. They have some sort of UV filtering coating will cause tomato plants to get leggy. Prior to the window replacement, I had original 1960s windows that were clear.

I suggest that we start a new thread this fall to see if we can help each other to get the plants through the winter. The other suggestion I've heard is to wait until the soil is dry and the plants droop a little before watering it.

I will do a few extra plants and see what happens when I put one on the east/west side of the house. Compare it to the south side.

Just a Thought

Bulbs like these replace 150 watts with only 12-watt usage so they are relatively inexpensive to operate and work in very inexpensive fixtures. Could they help with overwintering light related problems?

Bulbs like these replace 150 watts with only 12-watt usage so they are relatively inexpensive to operate and work in very inexpensive fixtures. Could they help with overwintering light related problems?

I think under/over watering is the most common cause of dropped leaves. But it wouldn't hurt to try these bulbs to see if extra light help. When I'm overwintering my pepper plants, I really don't want them to grow much. Just grow a little and stay alive til next spring.

I checked out the amazon link. If you get a 2-pack or 6-pack, you pay more per bulb than buying a single one! That is, $21 or $18 per bulb instead of $17. All of the quantity options are prime. I do realize that some of them are sold by third party via Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom