Gardens in unlikely places. if there is a will, there is a way!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
So, I was on my way into New York City yesterday. I took the window seat on the Railroad so i can have a view. Along the tracks is a strip of land that varies from a couple of yards to maybe 100 feet or so that is actually railroad property, but acts as a barrier between the tracks and private property. What I noticed are some very elaborate gardens ( mostly veggies, but some flowers as well) along the tracks on this land. They are a distance from the tracks so no danger of getting injured, but it is clearly on railroad property.

It amazed me the effort that has gone into these gardens, the variety and the success. Sure, I can only see whats going on at a distance, through a window while traveling 60mph, but I can see how well organized many of them are, raised beds, lush green crops in not necessarily the most perfect conditions. Im sure there is no irrigation so they either rely on mother nature or they have to get the water there somehow.

Ive noticed it o several trips but this is the first time I took pics of it. Ive never actually seen any people tending to these gardens, but , although being stereotypical, Im guessing its either Old timers, immigrants or both who are creating such masterpieces and beating the system by taking advantage or, otherwise, unused land. Id love to speak with these people and ask them questions just to get an idea of how, why ... Im sure I could learn a thing or two.

The pics I took were the best I could get from my vantage point , but the pics dont really do it justice, but give a good idea of what I had seen.

Attachments

• rr garden 1 .jpg
    rr garden 1 .jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 161
  • rr garden 2.jpg
    rr garden 2.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 159
  • rr garden 3 .jpg
    rr garden 3 .jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
That's great. I think I might see rain barrels.

Possibly. That would explain the irrigation.
I wish I was able to get a better look

I just think its funny that , at least in my mind, im gardening under pretty good and as close to ideal conditions. I get decent results but have my good and bad years. These people seem to be doing very well under less desirable conditions. That being said, from a sun point of view, they get pretty good, direct, long lasting sunlight which is something that not all of my garden gets.

That sounds very interesting. Remember that every piece of ground is unique, a microclimate all of its own.Then there the question of what to plant there arises, and you would have to search for plants outdoors, or under glass. So you have then to search for plants. And when I say that, it means plants that are compatible for the ground that you have, but then you also have the option of growing non-edible plants, but those that will provide for other purposes, i.e plants that provide shade, and other terrains, that enable you to create something unique and special for you. Being tidy, and deciding how to divide your patch is also crucial. You will have to make sure that you easy access to your plants, be they plants for the house, or properly organised vegetable gardens.

Good gardening! All the best!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I forgot to mention one thing, which helps you to get your garden to a flying start.
Get some kit to help you find out what soil you have, and what conditions you need for the plants you're to grow. And you have to prepare your soil before you plant. So you will have to do a Google to find out.

All the best again

di reston

There are several roof top gardens in Montreal - one is a "pick-your-own vegies" run by Sobey's (huge grocer chain) another is the Garden on the rooftop of the Hilton.

I’ve seen rooftop gardens. Raised planting boxes and container plants and trees on rooves.

Last edited:
Where we live, there are ample vegetables do anything you wish to to. Round here, in Italy, we raise many types of vegetables, and, when they are ready, we share with our neighbours. I think over there you call that 'pot luck', when you all bring a dish to add to the table. Am I right?

di reston

Here's a satellite / aerial view just to get an idea of the space they are working with. Just north of the RR tracks and south of the apartment buildings / parking lots.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 10.34.59 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 10.34.59 AM.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 138
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 10.34.42 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 10.34.42 AM.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 138
Last year some person had a couple of tomatoes in Winthrop. Whoever it was tossed them aside and sure enough, the seeds in those tomatoes never even got a blush of pink on it. And again this year the maintenance employees here planted tomatoes. Neither in Winthrop and here in Eastie, not one tomato ripened.

We have had a lot of rain this year. I think that is the reason for none of them ever ripening. :wacko:

Back
Top Bottom