"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 04-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by spryte View Post
Very interesting site!!
well, I think garlic is quite facinating, and I did learn a few things from this link. But it makes me wonder, how many folks here think "store bought" garlic is all there is?

Old 04-25-2008, 05:12 PM   #32
Head Chef

Not me by any means!

If you have only eaten store garlic, you have a whole new taste experience ahead.

LOL!

I actually had a couple of people look at me funny, and look at the food I was cooking as if to say, "I wonder if that is safe to eat."

But then the heavenly aroma got to them and they pigged out and loved it.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:24 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
well, I think garlic is quite facinating, and I did learn a few things from this link. But it makes me wonder, how many folks here think "store bought" garlic is all there is?
You know... I never really even thought about it.... but now I'd love to try other kinds.
spryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:44 PM   #34
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I think so, from my understanding. If you have just recently planted 2 year old crowns, you can take a light harvest next spring and full harvests after that. Asparagus is a spring harvested vegetable. You harvest them when they first start popping up each spring. Here in southern Ohio, my asparagus just started coming up last week. And I am working with a new bed that has one, two and three year old crowns. I am not touching the two year old crowns, even though they look enormous. It will weaken the plants to harvest from the two year old crowns. They need this time to grow and establish themselves in order to produce for the next 20+ years. By late summer, they should be tall ferns, nothing you would be tempted to harvest to eat.

I am only relating what I have read and I am following the recommendations on my new (and old) asparagus bed. I have not tried to harvest two year old plants on either my new or old bed. My old bed lasted 22 years so the recommendations do seem prudent. Good luck, you are lucky to have these asparagus plants!
Ah shucks. Thanks for setting me straight. I'll go do some studying!
Old 04-26-2008, 06:24 AM   #35
Executive Chef

You get a new spear appear over night. If you leave it too long, it becomes part of the crown. My asparagus is two years old in the ground and nearly a year old when it was planted. Am planning on taking the spears this year.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:47 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Okay, just want to make sure I'm clear on this....if I plant a single clove, I'll get a whole bulb??
Best time to do this is October? When is best for harvest, then?
Old 04-27-2008, 09:53 AM   #37
Executive Chef

yes VB, one whole clove will yield one whole bulb.

Best time to plant is Oct/nov, depending on your location/zone. You harvest when the lower 1/3 rd of the plants leaves start to yellow, the top 2/3rds will still be green. Harvest promptly because the clove will continue to grow, then split, then rot. Harvesting is critical, you have to pay attention, or you lose the crop.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:56 AM   #38
Executive Chef

oh, and do shop around for different varities, I listed a few links that sell many different varities. They will be available around August for fall planting. But I see where some places are taking orders already.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:20 PM   #39
Executive Chef

last question...does the original clove become part of the new bulb?
Old 04-27-2008, 04:46 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
last question...does the original clove become part of the new bulb?
no it does not. Just like a potato or onion set, the garlic clove is food/sustanence for the new plant until the roots get established to obtain its nutrients through the roots. The clove/potato/onion set turns to a rotten mush.