Garlic and Ginger 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
We put in the garlic garden, somewhere from 850-1100 cloves this year. It will be ready to harvest in July next year. 5 varieties. In the midwest we can plant in the fall until the ground freezes. We plant in October.

I started some Ginger (I hope) in some pots in a southern window. They say it takes 9 months to develop a good ginger root. (this is new to me)

Anyone else?

I have never successfully gotten garlic cloves, but I have used the greens in salads. I tried to plant ginger once, but the squirrels dug it all up.

I plant some ginger every year. I am not sure I harvest more than I plant, but it is very fresh. I plant it in a pot, in early spring, it spends the summer outdoors, and I harvest when the tops die--it takes at least 9 months.

Thank you both of you.
Taxlady, I don't have squirrels in the house, so I'm thinking I'll be okay. At least, for now. And I can only hope.
SparrowGrass, There are other things that take 9 months, I'm betting ginger is a less expensive and risky endeavor.:LOL:

Julia--just use store bought ginger-fresh and not dried out. There are nubs that will grow into a large plant and create a big root-tuber. They need to be in a warm environment, so I'm growing it indoors, or at least I'm trying. There are some youtube videos on it too.

Julia--just use store bought ginger-fresh and not dried out. There are nubs that will grow into a large plant and create a big root-tuber. They need to be in a warm environment, so I'm growing it indoors, or at least I'm trying. There are some youtube videos on it too.

Do you know if cats like ginger plants??? Mine wouldn't leave my indoor basil alone. When it comes to plants vs cats, the cats* win.

*(just cause they are not big enough to turn into teriyaki...yet, my favorite threat for them)

Do you know if cats like ginger plants??? Mine wouldn't leave my indoor basil alone. When it comes to plants vs cats, the cats* win.

*(just cause they are not big enough to turn into teriyaki...yet, my favorite threat for them)

Good question.

I was surprised that my basil is surviving my cat. When I first brought it in I did notice basil on his breath, once. No signs of further predation by cat on the basil.

Good question.

I was surprised that my basil is surviving my cat. When I first brought it in I did notice basil on his breath, once. No signs of further predation by cat on the basil.

My basil was shredded, daily....and it wasn't by me.

I have no idea if cats will go for ginger. Our indoor/outdoor cat seems sickly and I don't think she'll be around long enough to see what happens :(

I have no idea if cats will go for ginger. Our indoor/outdoor cat seems sickly and I don't think she'll be around long enough to see what happens :(

Poor baby...just keep her as comfy as she will allow. Sending kitty hugs.

Thanks for the hugs, she is about 14 years old so maybe it's coming close to her time to go.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom