"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 10-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I planted cloves from two heads of garlic two weeks ago. They are all sprouting. This will be my second year growing garlic. I LOVE garlic and am looking forward to summer when I can harvest it.

Also, garlic and onions are the only plants I've never had any problems growing. Guess the bugs don't care for them too much.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #12
Head Chef

I'm glad to see so many people growing garlic.

Sourcream15--I imagine my garlic will taste much like the cloves I have left from planting--the small ones, medium warm, nice garlicy aftertaste that doesn't last too long. I'll find out when I harvest in July. Next time I taste it I'll make notes.

I really enjoy roasting a big bulb of garlic, head cut at the top, wrapped in foil, drizzled with olive oil, then baked in the oven until the cloves are cooked and soft, then take the cloves and squish out the middle to spread on toasted bread.
Yesterday we added minced fresh garlic to gnocci, and we made garlic mashed potatoes over the week-end.

Nice tip Larry, about fall spouting not harming the garlic for the next year. Happy garlicing!

Old 12-13-2009, 05:52 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

I planted garlic as a pest control measure. A new hibiscus plant in my yard became infested with tiny ahpids and someone suggested using garlic rather that insecticide. I planted garlic cloves all around the hibiscus and the insects went away. If the garlic is responsible for that it is a great two for one. The insects are dealt with and you get lots of home grown garlic.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:24 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Hi all,

I started growing garlic for the first time last year. I bought three different varieties, from gourmet garlic and planted in late fall. Gourmet Garlic is a good place to order and I would urge anyone to order from them.

I feel there are a couple of advantages of growing garlic rather than buying it in a store. First off homegrown garlic taste so much better. Garlic of one of those foods that starts to lose flavor from the moment you pick it. There are many qualities that supermarket garlic just simply doesn't have, much like a potato. The other reason is garlic scape's. These things are a wonderful treat about mid-way thru the garlic growing season.

As far as I'm concerned...if you like food, cooking or simply just have a mouth with taste buds intact I would not hesitate to grow some garlic.

I've heard of people growing supermarket varieties and running into some troubles. I've only grown heirloom garlic varieties and have no experience with growing the supermarket bulbs. But...if you have problems with growing the supermarket bulbs or the taste of these bulbs, I wouldn't give up yet. I would try a different source.

enjoy the garlic!
dan
Old 01-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #15
Cook

This reminds me of a book I once saw when I worked in a library... called "Roses love garlic" (can't remember the author) all about plants you can plant together to keep bugs and small furry ones away.

I never thought to grow my own garlic... but then again, I garden off of a small 3rd floor balcony and I don't think it would be able to support the weight of all of the garlic that I would want to grow :-D
Old 01-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Garlic Garden

I grew garlic here in Southeast Pa. and always planted in the fall September usually, and I was told by an old time Garlic King that the theory is when you plant it it will start to grow and then become dormant when the cold weather hits and in the spring it will emerge with vigor with the spring rains. I always had good luck doing it this way. I tried planting in the spring but woul get tiny bulbs.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:24 PM   #17
Senior Cook

My garlic has been growing pretty strongly now for the last month or so.

I also just planted a few rows of shallots. Those things are so expensive in the store! I figure it's definitely worth it to grow your own of those. And the funny thing is, the "seed" shallots I bought at the hardware store, were bigger than the ones in the grocery store and were cheaper! Shallots are supposed to be even easier to grow than onions so I got high hopes for them.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Thanks Schllac for the info on garlic. Many times the gardening rules are a little different down here in south Florida. Sometimes the rules are totally backwards from other areas. I did plant my first garlic last fall and they look good so far and I can hardly wait to have my own home grown garlic.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I have garlic in most of my flower beds. The garlic is great but the added bonus is it flowers beautifully. I love the flowers on the Elephant Garlic. (FYI, Elephant Garlic is technically a leek but tastes more like garlic than a leek)
Old 01-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

When the garlic starts sending up the garlic scapes you can let them grow a little bit. Then cut them, enjoy them in dishes too...they're wonderful. Cutting the scape will prevent the flower from growing, because there is no flower more of the plants food/energy will go toward bulb production. Not nearly as pretty...but tastes better :)

enjoy the garlic!
dan