Garlic garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When the garlic starts sending up the garlic scapes you can let them grow a little bit. Then cut them, enjoy them in dishes too...they're wonderful. Cutting the scape will prevent the flower from growing, because there is no flower more of the plants food/energy will go toward bulb production. Not nearly as pretty...but tastes better :)

enjoy the garlic!
dan

this is what I do too. For the variety I grow, German Extra Hardy, the scapes should be cut off after they complete their first curly que. I don't know if all varieties do this, but my scapes make a circle before continuing to grow and making the flower

This is very useful and beneficial info for me. Because i use garlic in mostly recipes. Garlic is a very beneficial ingredient.

They are now coming through the straw/hay (not seeing weeds now), I see rows of garlic, not every plant yet. I need to get my camera ready and show you how it looks, I'm excited for the July harvest. My friends at work say they will buy some from me, in garlic braids. Might be near 200 so far sprouting through the mulch.

This is my first year planted anything, ever! I love garlic, so I planted a whackload of garlic.... regular and elephant, just for the fun of it. Last week they were sprouting already, after being in the ground in just a week. I am not home enough in the summer to have alot of things growing, so garlic was one of the things I could plant. I cant wait! I hope it turns out.. :)

I've never grown garlic before so I was excited to see it coming up in all three of the tiny locations where I planted it. The shallots are doing nothing at all. Other things are weathering the cold and rainy weather, but the garlic has sprouted out of the ground!

~Kathleen

here is my garlic, coming right along for harvest in about one month....I need to get in there and get the scapes off, but the soil is way too wet right now, and expecting 1 to 2 inches of rain today..:ohmy:

Attachments

• DSCN1456.jpg
    DSCN1456.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 250
God Beth that is beautiful... That is the one thing I miss about living up North, the ability to plant things... Sure we have oranges, grapefruit, loquats (squirrels got them all before I could figure out what to do with them) but I miss the real, get in the ground get your hands dirty stuff... I use garlic for everything (well almost) so you should thank your lucky stars i'm not in OHIO... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Please post pics of the big beautiful bad boy once he has emerged... XOXO

beth, I'm so impressed. I made a pathetic attempt to grow garlic last year but there is obviously more to it than I'm aware of. I just bought an organic bulb of garlic from the grocery store, separated it, planted them, they sprouted, grew tall and green...but the bulbs were the same size as when they were first planted :(

...i think your garlic is just happier than mine...afterall, they stare at that beautiful golden hillside in the background :)

Beth, your garlic looks amazing!

I recently realized that I planted my garlic much too late. I planted it in the spring. My question is do I just let it continue to grow until next year, or might it be ready in the fall?

~Kathleen

Beth your garden is soooooo nice. We harvested some scapes (only some of the garlic I have is hardneck) this week, sauted them in butter, with carrots, radishes, onions, celery, added them to a cold macaroni salad w/mayo. They were sweet and mild, we really enjoyed them. Here's my picture of the garlic garden. I think we'll double our garlic garden this fall, it's been so fun!

Attachments

• DSCN1995b.JPG
    DSCN1995b.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 157
I planted my garlic today; cut way back and only planted about 60 cloves.

Beth, you have such nice gardens. Do you think 60 cloves will keep the vampires away? ;)

MollyAnne-it's really not complicated, we plant in the fall, cover, harvest in July, maybe try a different variety, most will produce fully divided globes in that amount of time. You can still plant as late as December, if you can get into the dirt, you should be fine.

We planted our garlic about a month ago, just some cloves from the store, as an experiment. Now, with heavy rains and winds, the straw has blown away - should I cover them again, or do they freeze and/or rot??

We are in southern MO; and we've had good luck with the cloves we bought before and planted. Those were meant for seed, tho.

We planted our garlic about a month ago, just some cloves from the store, as an experiment. Now, with heavy rains and winds, the straw has blown away - should I cover them again, or do they freeze and/or rot??

We are in southern MO; and we've had good luck with the cloves we bought before and planted. Those were meant for seed, tho.

I don't know if the lack of straw will affect them negatively. I think I'd recover them. We are farther north, cover with 6 to 8 inches, then water and it stayed in place even with high wind storms here.

The only problem with grocery store bought garlic, is that some of it might have been sprayed with an anti-sprouting chemical--some stores do that. If you kept any spare cloves from the planted batch, look to see if they are starting to sprout in the house--that will give you a clue to whether they will sprout or not.
Let us know! Good luck.

PS. I'll be selling some next July/August if anyone is interested. (For seed or to eat.)

We can plant them in September in northern Alberta without cover and they can still grow! I plant them with my roses and sometimes forget to cover the garlic. Sure enough, in the middle of May, the shoots start poking up. And we have many, many -40 winter days. We only have 87 frost-free days each year so extremely short summers. It is miraculous they can grow here.

I think I've read that garlic grows well in colder climates, and I did grow some in MN some years back. I checked ours today, and planted more, and yes, the cloves are sprouting in the house.
The early Spring garlic is sooo good; almost sweet, and not strong at alll. I'm sure those of you who plant it have sampled it then, too.

Now that the holidays are almost behind us, I am anxiously looking forward to gardening again. We did get 6 seed catalogs in one day.

I started out about 15 years ago purchasing 7 large Susanville garlic..
Plants about a 30 foot short-row every fall since..they are in my opinion
the #1 herb in every respect...7 garlic makes about 35 planting cloves..
Harvest them last week of June, or so...Usually resulting twice what I
use annually (and I use alot of them)........I love them..................BH51

I may have to order some of those. Our garlic is growing, but getting small cloves so far.
I may have to dig a few today, as we are heading into a possible ice storm, and we are almost OUT of garlic!!! :shock: I should know that that is one thing to stock up on before a storm.....bread, milk, garlic.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom