"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 01-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
When the garlic starts sending up the garlic scapes you can let them grow a little bit. Then cut them, enjoy them in dishes too...they're wonderful. Cutting the scape will prevent the flower from growing, because there is no flower more of the plants food/energy will go toward bulb production. Not nearly as pretty...but tastes better :)

enjoy the garlic!
dan

this is what I do too. For the variety I grow, German Extra Hardy, the scapes should be cut off after they complete their first curly que. I don't know if all varieties do this, but my scapes make a circle before continuing to grow and making the flower

Old 02-07-2010, 11:16 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

This is very useful and beneficial info for me. Because i use garlic in mostly recipes. Garlic is a very beneficial ingredient.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #23
Head Chef

They are now coming through the straw/hay (not seeing weeds now), I see rows of garlic, not every plant yet. I need to get my camera ready and show you how it looks, I'm excited for the July harvest. My friends at work say they will buy some from me, in garlic braids. Might be near 200 so far sprouting through the mulch.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

This is my first year planted anything, ever! I love garlic, so I planted a whackload of garlic.... regular and elephant, just for the fun of it. Last week they were sprouting already, after being in the ground in just a week. I am not home enough in the summer to have alot of things growing, so garlic was one of the things I could plant. I cant wait! I hope it turns out.. :)
Old 05-19-2010, 07:55 PM   #25
Cupcake

I've never grown garlic before so I was excited to see it coming up in all three of the tiny locations where I planted it. The shallots are doing nothing at all. Other things are weathering the cold and rainy weather, but the garlic has sprouted out of the ground!

~Kathleen
Old 06-05-2010, 06:38 AM   #26
Executive Chef

here is my garlic, coming right along for harvest in about one month....I need to get in there and get the scapes off, but the soil is way too wet right now, and expecting 1 to 2 inches of rain today..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1456.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	8141  
Old 06-05-2010, 08:11 AM   #27
Head Chef

Wow!!

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #28
Head Chef

God Beth that is beautiful... That is the one thing I miss about living up North, the ability to plant things... Sure we have oranges, grapefruit, loquats (squirrels got them all before I could figure out what to do with them) but I miss the real, get in the ground get your hands dirty stuff... I use garlic for everything (well almost) so you should thank your lucky stars i'm not in OHIO... Please post pics of the big beautiful bad boy once he has emerged... XOXO
Old 06-05-2010, 08:55 AM   #29
Flour Child

beth, I'm so impressed. I made a pathetic attempt to grow garlic last year but there is obviously more to it than I'm aware of. I just bought an organic bulb of garlic from the grocery store, separated it, planted them, they sprouted, grew tall and green...but the bulbs were the same size as when they were first planted

...i think your garlic is just happier than mine...afterall, they stare at that beautiful golden hillside in the background

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #30
Cupcake

Beth, your garlic looks amazing!

I recently realized that I planted my garlic much too late. I planted it in the spring. My question is do I just let it continue to grow until next year, or might it be ready in the fall?

~Kathleen