"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 06-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #31
Head Chef

Beth your garden is soooooo nice. We harvested some scapes (only some of the garlic I have is hardneck) this week, sauted them in butter, with carrots, radishes, onions, celery, added them to a cold macaroni salad w/mayo. They were sweet and mild, we really enjoyed them. Here's my picture of the garlic garden. I think we'll double our garlic garden this fall, it's been so fun!
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #32
Executive Chef

I planted my garlic today; cut way back and only planted about 60 cloves.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I planted my garlic today; cut way back and only planted about 60 cloves.
Beth, you have such nice gardens. Do you think 60 cloves will keep the vampires away?

MollyAnne-it's really not complicated, we plant in the fall, cover, harvest in July, maybe try a different variety, most will produce fully divided globes in that amount of time. You can still plant as late as December, if you can get into the dirt, you should be fine.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:28 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

We planted our garlic about a month ago, just some cloves from the store, as an experiment. Now, with heavy rains and winds, the straw has blown away - should I cover them again, or do they freeze and/or rot??

We are in southern MO; and we've had good luck with the cloves we bought before and planted. Those were meant for seed, tho.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowsy View Post
We planted our garlic about a month ago, just some cloves from the store, as an experiment. Now, with heavy rains and winds, the straw has blown away - should I cover them again, or do they freeze and/or rot??

We are in southern MO; and we've had good luck with the cloves we bought before and planted. Those were meant for seed, tho.
I don't know if the lack of straw will affect them negatively. I think I'd recover them. We are farther north, cover with 6 to 8 inches, then water and it stayed in place even with high wind storms here.

The only problem with grocery store bought garlic, is that some of it might have been sprayed with an anti-sprouting chemical--some stores do that. If you kept any spare cloves from the planted batch, look to see if they are starting to sprout in the house--that will give you a clue to whether they will sprout or not.
Let us know! Good luck.

PS. I'll be selling some next July/August if anyone is interested. (For seed or to eat.)
Old 12-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #36
Cook

We can plant them in September in northern Alberta without cover and they can still grow! I plant them with my roses and sometimes forget to cover the garlic. Sure enough, in the middle of May, the shoots start poking up. And we have many, many -40 winter days. We only have 87 frost-free days each year so extremely short summers. It is miraculous they can grow here.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:07 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

I think I've read that garlic grows well in colder climates, and I did grow some in MN some years back. I checked ours today, and planted more, and yes, the cloves are sprouting in the house.
The early Spring garlic is sooo good; almost sweet, and not strong at alll. I'm sure those of you who plant it have sampled it then, too.

Now that the holidays are almost behind us, I am anxiously looking forward to gardening again. We did get 6 seed catalogs in one day.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #38
Senior Cook

I envy your Gardens, if I had time to plant some garlic. I love garlic too. :)
Old 01-31-2011, 01:11 PM   #39
Cook

I started out about 15 years ago purchasing 7 large Susanville garlic..
Plants about a 30 foot short-row every fall since..they are in my opinion
the #1 herb in every respect...7 garlic makes about 35 planting cloves..
Harvest them last week of June, or so...Usually resulting twice what I
use annually (and I use alot of them)........I love them..................BH51
Old 01-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #40
Assistant Cook

I may have to order some of those. Our garlic is growing, but getting small cloves so far.
I may have to dig a few today, as we are heading into a possible ice storm, and we are almost OUT of garlic!!! I should know that that is one thing to stock up on before a storm.....bread, milk, garlic.