Garlic question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can pull some at any time. It's perfectly lovely when it's young, green and fresh.

Or, you can wait until the heads have matured into many cloves.

It's your call.

[SIZE=-1]The plants are ready to harvest when the foliage has died off, or mostly died off. If it is very wet near harvest time, consider lifting them a bit earlier and drying them under cover. Left in wet soil, the outer parchment often rots. And if there is disease in the root plate, it may develop too far and cause the bulb to fall apart when it is lifted. Rocambole is almost always ready to harvest a month or so before common garlic. But the state of the foliage is the indicator, not any particular date. An experienced Italian American home garlic grower passes on a valuable tip for refining the estimate of when to harvest common garlic-[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]"Once the top part of the plant has begun to turn brown, pull one of them and peel back the sheaths one at a time. My grandfather liked to wait until there were 2 sheaths, but I'm more comfortable with 3 to 4 sheaths. The problem with only watching the top part of the plant is that when it's very wet or very dry, the sheaths can reduce much faster than in other years."

[/SIZE]growing garlic

I dig down a bit and check out the bulbs. The time can vary by 3-4 weeks in this area. You sure are lucky harvesting at this time of year!

thats the pay off of 118 degree summer days, stuff grows in the garden year round

Back
Top Bottom