"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 07-02-2016, 02:50 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

I had a friend in Tacoma that was retired. He loved growing his own food. So much so that he signed up for a Master Gardener course. One of their last requirements was to find a person who wanted to grow his own garden, but it had to be pesticide free. My friend spent the whole planting and growing season with this person. At the end, the instructor went to see it with the rest of the class. And the person whose garden it was signed up for the next class of Master Gardener. It was determined by the whole class and their instructor, that this particular garden was the best one that had been guided by a student. He passed with flying colors.

They do get a thorough education to becoming a "Master Gardener."

Old 07-02-2016, 02:56 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I had a friend in Tacoma that was retired. He loved growing his own food. So much so that he signed up for a Master Gardener course. One of their last requirements was to find a person who wanted to grow his own garden, but it had to be pesticide free. My friend spent the whole planting and growing season with this person. At the end, the instructor went to see it with the rest of the class. And the person whose garden it was signed up for the next class of Master Gardener. It was determined by the whole class and their instructor, that this particular garden was the best one that had been guided by a student. He passed with flying colors.

They do get a thorough education to becoming a "Master Gardener."
I know Addie won't see this because she's ignoring me, but this does not sound likely. The extension service teaches people to use pesticides carefully and responsibly, and only as necessary. It's known as Integrated Pest Management. Also, that sound like an excessive number of volunteer hours to expect of an intern (a student in their first year of training).

Old 07-02-2016, 03:12 PM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
My knowledge is specific to zone 8 Here's info from Wyoming's extension service. Looks like it's a fall-planting crop, even there. You can plant it in containers, since it doesn't grow very deep.

General: Gardening | Resources | Barnyards & Backyards | University of Wyoming

Garlic (PDF): Garlic puts fall gusto in your garden, summer zest in kitchen
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
My garlic knowledge is specific to zones 4-5. Joy's Garlic

Thank you, Ladies!
Old 07-02-2016, 05:39 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I recently took care of a Master Gardener...he was thrilled to help us with our garden questions.

Next summer we are getting a vegetable garden going over at Mom's, I want to grow our own garlic. Any tips?

This company is where I first bought my garlic after moving to NM.

Absmeier High Altitude Garlic Farm, Selling Seed and Food Garlic

Since I left Ohio in late December I was not able to bring any plants or bulbs with me.

Obviously they don't have their 2016 harvest in yet so have nothing for sale. Look under the Extras tab for growing and harvesting information. Garlic is planted from late September to early November around here.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:35 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

I plant garlic cloves that sprout in the kitchen.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:52 PM   #26
Wine Guy

I've been buying scapes the last few weeks at the farm market. A couple of things I've made that have turned out good were a szechuan stir fry with scapes, and creamy soup with scapes and ramps.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:56 PM   #27
Head Chef

Looks delightful and delicious! thanks for sharing the pictures!
Old 07-03-2016, 02:16 PM   #28
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thanks Beth!

Our Farmer's Markets have not even started...July 21st is the big one. Corn is only about 1-2 feet high at this time.

Mom's blackberry bushes are coming along, can't wait.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:29 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Question. Are garlic sprouts the same as scapes? We just bought some sprouts at an Asian market and I have only found two recipes that use them. I see that there are recipes for "shoots" as well. These have a small white bulb (football shaped) with green stalks about 15" long.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:46 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Question. Are garlic sprouts the same as scapes? We just bought some sprouts at an Asian market and I have only found two recipes that use them. I see that there are recipes for "shoots" as well. These have a small white bulb (football shaped) with green stalks about 15" long.
They are not the same but they probably taste similar. Sprouts/leaves/shoots come off the bulb as soon as the ground warms up, in March or April, that is the beginning when the clove sends up the sprout/shoots, and the bulb begins to form. Then in June, once there are many sprouted leaves coming up, the garlic may be a foot tall by then, in the middle, a round sprout comes up (not a leaf), that is the scape. It is the stem that holds the flower of the garlic. A leaf will be flat while a scape will be a tube that is not hollow. I hope that helps.

Tags
garlic