"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 07-31-2008, 09:10 AM   #1
Head Chef

Getting rid of crab grass this late in the season

Year after year my lawn has been pretty good. This year, although everything started out ok, my lawn is slowly being taken over by crab grass. Ive been doing the scotts program, as i have done year after year. It seems that the crab grass is on a mission to make my lawn the crappiest on the block. Any suggestions ? Is it too late in the season to address this ?

Old 07-31-2008, 09:19 AM   #2
Executive Chef

That's funny. What you call crabgrass is what people down here have for lawns. I was amused by that when I moved down here.
Anyway, if I remember correctly, (Check the instructions on any packaging), any fertilizer, weed killer, etc., should not be used when the temperature reaches over
80? degrees..... I think it's 80. Check. June would have been better. And a fertilizer, weed killer combo would have been best, in your area, in about May/June. It's not that it's late - it's that it's too HOT!.
But check with your local nursery/home center.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
Head Chef

thats what i figured, just double checking.
The positive is that it is green and tolerates the high temps

the negative is that it looks real ugly against the other grass

Ive never had a problem until this year. I think the new neighbors who moved in, dont take great care of their grass, and the seeds are blowing my way
Old 07-31-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Mow your lawn on a higher setting so the good grass chokes out the crab grass. For patches of crab grass you just need to yank it out....roots and all. For big patches, plant some patch seed immediately. I walk around my yard for a few minutes before I mow and collect as much as I can. Every year it gets better and better. This year I can go 2 mows before having to hunt for the stuff. If your neighbors hav it, it will make it more difficult to clear yours out. Crabgrass uses a serious root system, so make sure you get as much of the roots as possible.

Put a preventative down in the Spring (or whatever the manufacturer suggests)
Old 07-31-2008, 11:18 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
That's funny. What you call crabgrass is what people down here have for lawns. I was amused by that when I moved down here.
Anyway, if I remember correctly, (Check the instructions on any packaging), any fertilizer, weed killer, etc., should not be used when the temperature reaches over
80? degrees..... I think it's 80. Check. June would have been better. And a fertilizer, weed killer combo would have been best, in your area, in about May/June. It's not that it's late - it's that it's too HOT!.
But check with your local nursery/home center.

Rats! My crab grass is taking over as well as morning glory. But last year none of the weed n feeds or sprays I tried even phased it. The last thing I want to do is go out in 100 degree weather and yank it, but it's getting into my flower beds so I guess that' what I'll have to do.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:39 PM   #6
Master Chef

Or you could do like we did and get rid of the grass altogether (along with the need for all those chemicals that go into our ground water ;)). The wife planted native prairie plants here, the crabgrass never stood a chance, neither did the dandelions either. Our neighbors yard to the south is overgrown with both, non are present in our garden, but our neighbor to the north is always pulling it out of his lawn and using chemicals cause the seeds float all the way over to him, LOL.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:50 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

i spent two and a half hours pulling crabgrass today. my fingers are sore!

squzie, the only way to get rid of crabgrass once it takes hold is to pull it, with roots and all as jeeks mentioned.

then, reseed the holes it leaves and any other bare spots. ditto-ing jeeks again, grow a thick lawn so crabgrass has nowhere to grow.

next spring, be sure to put down the fertilizer with halts in march or april, to prevent weeds from being able to germinate. you have to seed in the fall, before putting that stuff down, because it will also prevent the grass seed from germinating.

i ripped out my entire front lawn last fall and reseeded it. i didn't get the early fertilizer down, and my neighbor had a yard full of weeds, which of course, grew in every tiny bare spot in my front lawn where the grass didn't grow well.
fortunately, the neighbor sodded his property a month ago, so i should be able to get control of my own lawn now.

tomorrow, i'm thatching with a rake, getting some soil spread out to fill holes, and seeding my entire lawn, again.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:35 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
alright, so how do you make it permanantly leave your veggie garden without digging up the whole garden and putting landscape fabric under it?
I pull blades and thier roots every day as I see them in the 1 garden, but I have another space completely overtaken under my sqush and pumpkins. I work a little on that one every day, and I'm sure it wouldn;t be so bad had I not neglected it so long...
or planted it next to an empty field.
duh.
I may just abandon that garden but the soil is getting so nice in it...
Old 09-05-2008, 08:29 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to LeeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to LeeAnn
Crabgrass! What a pain! My daughters and I moved to a rental a couple months ago (finally found a year-round rental in this land of summer-rentals) the grass is covered with crabgrass. Our lovely bluestone walkway in front of the cottage had grass (and crabgrass) growing in between each stone. I bought a spray on weed killer that I was SURE I read would NOT kill the grass - but lo and behold, it did. So now I have a lovely bluestone walkway with dead grass in between.

I bought some new grass seed, and from reading here it seems that I need to pull up all the dead and reseed soon - when the threat of the hottest temps are passed - is that so? I suppose I could just leave it til spring, but if it's an autumn thing to do then I need to do that.

I'll keep checking here for what others are doing. :-)
Old 09-05-2008, 08:57 AM   #10
Executive Chef

You can seed in the fall or the spring. You'll have to wait for the weed killer to dissipate first or the seed will not grow.