GIANT Avocados! photo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
My mom's been going through my Grandma's old slides, putting them onto her computer. She sent this one, knowing I'd flip when I saw the size of these avocados. (Pardon the quality of the photo - the slides have all seen better days)
This was taken in the 50's in Grandma's famous Pink kitchen. You can judge the size when you realize that her two full-grown budgies (parakeets) are sitting on the handle of the basket.
I am so jealous!!
img_638071_0_b3ccabffff90b854be6a756e899c1bdf.jpg

(it just occurred to me....haven't I always said my favorite things
are avos and lemons? I guess I know where I get it from!)

Mom tells me the kitchen was not only pink, but had red formica countertops.
I still have some casserole dishes of Grandma's that she'd purchased for it :)

Okay, Jkath, honey, stop drooling now. Your gonna make your keyboard sticky!! LOL
So cool to see old pictures.

Last edited:
Some major Guac with those puppies.
Would have loved to have seen the fridge.

Pink, avacado, harvest gold, brown.....what were we thinking? I think I'm gonna be sick!​

Wow those would cost about 5 bucks each in todays markets!
How funny jkath I have always said the same, my dream has always been since I can remember that when I one day own my own home I have to have a lemon tree and an avocado tree and then my life would be complete...well I now own my own house but I now live in Ohio to where you can't grow them here!! :( :( I'll get over it...some day!

When we moved to this house, dh wanted a pool and a two-story. I wanted a big kitchen and an avo tree. Well, at least the insides were what we hoped for!

At least nowadays produce is almost everywhere - imagine if you couldn't get any CA, TX or FL fruits! yikes!

I'm not sure where the nearest avo tree is, and you have to have at least two within a very short distance for proper pollination & fruit. Also, they take years to grow and mature into such beauties. Better to have friends with trees who like to swap produce!

well do you at least have a lemon tree? I'm contemplating getting an indoor one just to have at least SOMETHING! I just can't let go of that dream!:-pI remember hearing you needed a male and female tree for avos but I just asumed that was just when getting them started, I thought you could get them pre....impregnated....lol....from a nursery?

My citruses are my favorite trees :)
One's a meyer lemon (my pride and joy - only 8' high but yielded 300 fruit last year), one's a navel orange (not a big giant tree, but enough fruit to make us happy)
& a little lime that's only in it's second fruiting season. He's in a pot, and needs to be planted in the ground now that he's older.

aww how nice, are myer lemons much different than regular ones? Have you any experience with lemon trees in a pot?

Back
Top Bottom