"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener
Old 02-08-2008, 10:19 AM   #11
Head Chef
I don't think deer, or other pests, like herbs much. Herbs do love their sun, but. . . try it, all you have to lose is a couple dollars and little time. Or thyme.

Don't plant anything under the walnut tree--their leaves and roots contain a compound that inhibits growth of other plants. Don't put walnut leaves in the compost pile, either. (A few won't hurt--no need to get down on your knees and sort them out, just avoid them as much as possible.)

I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:01 PM   #12
Master Chef
we had animals too , hubby ended up putting an electric fence around the garden plot. I don't know if he is going to do any gardening this year. Ever since he retired, he doesn't do anything.

LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:13 PM   #13
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
geez, woodman. where are you from, viet nam?

bungee sticks to keep out cats?
Pungee sticks.

do you fish with dynamite too?

(Game warden stands there after being handed a lit stick by an Angler)

Angler says: Well, whtchyagonnado? Stand there gabbing or are you gonna go fishing?

La Dump!!

wart, anyone can grow any type of garden even with ravenous little beasties about, but you have to be willing to build a wire mesh enclosure. it has to go underground about 2 to 3 feet to keep out burrowers like rabbits and groundhogs,

Yeah, groundhogs. Got a nice crop of them. They keep building dens under my front stoop. I'm about to do the 9mm solution.

2 to 3 feet deep? ?? ???? ! I believe you, Every month or so I walk the perimeter of the garage (pole building) looking for burrows.

I would hate to have to dig that deep. Plus whenever I put a shovel in the ground I get things I would rather not see. Bottle pieces, once a scalp with hair, ....

If I dug that deep I would use hardware cloth.

I think I will first try just a drivable fence post and chicken wire.

caged in on top if you have deer. they can jump pretty well, and if they're hungry enough, watch out. it's no fun
No evidence of deer.
Wart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:00 PM   #14
Senior Cook
I grow my herbs in large pots. I cut up wire coat hangers and make arches out of them to "cage" the top of the pots. Sticking the ends in the dirt on the pot edges. It keeps the cats out of them until the herbs are large enuff to keep them out. You can set the pots around in sunny spots. I have large light weight pots. Also large pots need less watering.
sage™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:38 PM   #15
Master Chef
If you're concerned about what will work for you permanently, you might want to plant your initial herb garden in large pots that you can move around. There are virtually no herbs that can't be grown successfully in containers, & not only can you find out which you like & don't like, but you can also discover what area in your yard works best for them. Then later in the season, or even next season, you can plan where best to put them permanently. Even tho I have 21 acres & plenty of places to plant my herbs in the ground, I also always keep pots of herbs on my deck for impromptu nighttime supper or early breakfast clippings. Fun to just walk out a few steps & snip something than putting on clogs & trudging out to the garden in the dark or rain.

Also, luckily, most critters pretty much leave herbs alone. Groundhogs & deer can be somewhat indiscriminate if they have little else to dine on, but if you have your herb garden in pots, they should be safe.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #16
Senior Cook
Wart I have grown thyme in a strawberry jar sitting on the deck rail. It is soooo out of interest range to the neighborhood cats. Don't plant any veggies under your walnuts as they produce a toxin to inhibit germination and growth of plants. Given that you have an oversized deck there are two easy ways to get big planters. One is to take a bale of straw not hay straw and carve out pockets within the bale. Use planters mix and insert seedlings accordingly. The other is to buy a big bale of peat moss take a utility knife and cut open the top. Leave the plastic side and bottom to be your planter and grow in straight peat moss. It may need some fertilizer .... at the end of the season just dump it all on your compost pile. Start it over fresh the next year. You can grow herbs in hanging baskets around the perimeter of your deck just be sure that there is enough sun.
oneoffour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:31 AM   #17
Sous Chef
Thanks for the suggestions.

I think I'm going to try growing some of the herbs in containers so I can move them around to see where they grow best and so I can bring some of the pots inside next winter.

It's nice to know some things lay outside the interest range of cats.

Nice idea about the bails of soil, I can spread them about the area where I would like to plant next years garden.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:51 AM   #18
Master Chef
Oh, is there an herb garden under that foot of snow?
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:41 PM   #19
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Oh, is there an herb garden under that foot of snow?

Sat we had 6" or so of snow on the ground,

Sunday it was 45~50 degrees. Didn't get rid of ALL the snow.

Sunday night it stormed. That got rid of the snow. When I took the garbage out at midnight it was still 45 degrees.

Monday morning there was a dusting of snow and the ground was once again frozen.

What a PITA.