Growing and using fresh herbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNoodleIncident

Senior Cook
so we have recently begun to grow a small variety of herbs in our apartment....each herb is in a separate, small pot....we have planted a few seeds in each pot

so, when we want to use some of the herbs, do we basically just pull out the entire little plant, and then plant some new seeds? tonight, we want to use our entire little farm of basil (its not that much)....but what if we only needed some of the basil? is it ok to just pluck a few leaves?

i think we are supposed to let them grow, then replant them in larger pots....if we were to let them grow nice and big that way, it prob wont be a problem to just harvest a portion of the plant...but our place is small, so they will prob stay in the little pots...and thats why im wondering if its just smarter to uproot the entire little plant, and grow a new one

Just pluck as many leaves as you want, even if that is all the leaves. I would not regrow from seed because that will take more time. Just take the leaves and leave the plant and it will grow more leaves.

You may have to be patient, let it grow enough to have leaves that you harvest, and leaves that are left on to receive the sunshine. I know it's hard! Pinching back, using some of the leaves will actually help your plants become "bushier."

be sure to pinch off the very top of each basil stem, if you don't it will go to seed.

Back
Top Bottom