Growing asparagus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B'sgirl

Sous Chef
My asparagus is in its second year and I'm not quite sure what to do with it. It is really tall now. There aren't enough shoots to start trimming and eating it. I think the package said you can't harvest it until after two years. I'm just not sure how to maintain it. Does anyone know anything about it?

let it grow exactly as it is, it will grow quite tall (3 - 4 foot) and develop little red berries in autumn, and this foliage will die off during the winter.
when it`s dead simply remove it and compost it.
then wait until next May, in the 3`rd year you can take a few sprigs (not all of them) and let the cycle continue again.

spare a thought for me, I started mine of from Seed not the crowns, it takes 7 years before you can start eating it!
happily next year will be that 7`th year :)

if ever you get change to go to the beach, get hold of plenty seaweed, and dry it as best you can and bring it home with you, when it`s totally dry, crush it up and sprinkle that on the asparagus bed, they love it.

if ever you get change to go to the beach, get hold of plenty seaweed, and dry it as best you can and bring it home with you, when it`s totally dry, crush it up and sprinkle that on the asparagus bed, they love it.

Thanks for the tip. The next time I go to the beach I'm going to collect a whole bunch of seaweed!:)

another nice thing about it, is that you don`t have to wash the seaweed off, the salt that remains on it when dried fresh from the sea will not hurt the asparagus but will actually Benefit it.

Back
Top Bottom