Growing basil indoors under lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dig up whatever basil remains at the end of the season, pot it up and bring it inside. I have a nice pot of basil that's still growing from last year.

I say go for it.

Last edited:
I saved the seeds from my Thai and Italian basil from last season.
In fact, I sowed all my seeds yesterday.

I've had nothing but good luck with Basil indoors.
I start the seeds under artificial light but then move it to a southern exposed window. I grows rather quickly so go ahead and start with seeds. ;)
If you put it outside you'll be very happy with the outcome. :)

Basil is so easy to grow, and it's such a pretty herb. I love it. :yum: You won't have any problem growing it, cave. :)

I start mine from seed because they're so quick to germinate. I've never tried freezing excess basil, but I have dried it. Not quite the same as fresh, but far better than store bought dried basil. Have fun!

Cheryl, it's definitely worth the time to freeze extra basil. I just put it in the blender with an equal amount of water, buzz it, and freeze in ice cube trays. It tastes just like fresh thrown into a pot of soup or sauce. Pesto freezes great, too.

I've never had any luck growing basil inside :(

Basil is so easy to grow,
I wish it was! Can't grow it in the garden at all and have had no luck indoors with seeds over decades of trying. I've tried with seedlings from the garden centres and even the little pots from the supermarket. The only real luck I've had was with a couple of plants from Aldi's fresh herbs counter last year, which flourished right into the winter on the kitchen window ledge. (sigh!)

Cheryl, it's definitely worth the time to freeze extra basil. I just put it in the blender with an equal amount of water, buzz it, and freeze in ice cube trays. It tastes just like fresh thrown into a pot of soup or sauce. Pesto freezes great, too.

I've never had any luck growing basil inside :(

I'll try it. :) I've read that basil turns an unappetizing blackish when frozen, that's why I haven't tried freezing it. Have you had that happen? Maybe when it's frozen in water, that prevents it from discoloring.

I wish it was! Can't grow it in the garden at all and have had no luck indoors with seeds over decades of trying. I've tried with seedlings from the garden centres and even the little pots from the supermarket. The only real luck I've had was with a couple of plants from Aldi's fresh herbs counter last year, which flourished right into the winter on the kitchen window ledge. (sigh!)

Glad you have had success with Aldi's basil, Mad. I think it does so well here is because there is so much sun - although I've burned basil from too much sunlight. :huh:

I'll try it. :) I've read that basil turns an unappetizing blackish when frozen, that's why I haven't tried freezing it. Have you had that happen? Maybe when it's frozen in water, that prevents it from discoloring.

Yes, it changes color with exposure to oxygen, like avocados and apples. Freezing it in water prevents oxidizing, so it stays green. To make pesto stay green, put a thin layer of olive oil on the top.

Thank you, GotGarlic. :) I'll give it a try. Need to make a note to pick up a couple of ice cube trays from the store. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom