"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 09-22-2008, 02:52 AM   #1
Master Chef

Growing Greens

My computer service has been crashing a lot lately, so excuse me if I'm repeating. I thought it was my imagination last year (my taster and smeller went off with the big M) but this year it is definitely true ... I grow all my greens together, and by the end of the season (we're close to it now) everything -- romaine, ruffles, chard, all tastes like arugula. I like arugula here and there, but all of my salads taste the same ... arugula. Obviously I need to grow arugula in a different place from the rest of my greens next year. Anyone have a similar experience?

Old 09-23-2008, 11:34 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to HushBull
Suppose it is much like leaving an onion around other foods (mainly porous ones) in the fridge. Everything soon has a taste of onion, atleast smell like it.

This makes me think of my Dill/fennel plant I have growing. Originally, they were two separate plants. Then it formed into one plant with distinct dill and fennel offshoots. Over time, it has now become, hmm... I guess Dennel, maybe Fill? A licorice, dill flavor-- yum.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
Master Chef

I've never heard of that happening before. The only time I've had too much "arugula taste" is when it came in a mesclun seed mix, which it overpowered.

Do you have it mixed in with your other salad greens, or does it have a patch of its own?
Old 09-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Arugula does seed itself

Arugula....sends out a yellow flower or depending on the variety...sends out white flower. The flower spread and re seed themselves.

They can be invasive. I suggest you plant them AWAY from your other greens. There are probably Arugula seeds growning and sending out "taste". Something like MINTS...they should be in their own area. They
spread and take over.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:55 AM   #5
Master Chef

I will definitely do that next year. I think part of the problem was my hands! I'd pulled arugula, then clipped my lettuce for the salad. Luckily, hubby and I do love the peppery taste, it was just getting to be too much. Arugula will NOT be in the salad mix next year, but in a bed of its own. Sometimes I like a more neutral or sweet green. And yes, it does take over the greens bed if you don't watch out.