"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 02-04-2008, 06:18 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Growing Lettuce

Sign me up!!!! My goal is to not buy a single veggie at the store in the summer. Ok maybe lettuce and celery. I've got 5 acres here and with any luck someday I'll be able to fill half of one with food.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:37 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
My goal is to not buy a single veggie at the store in the summer. Ok maybe lettuce and celery.
No!!! Grow Lettuce, it Couldn`t be more simple honestly
you can do all different sorts as well, just sew a line every few weeks and you`ll never be without

it even works well over winter in the greenhouse, Or on top of the compost heap for an early crop (the heat from the compost helps).

as for celery, you want the self blanching types, although they Can be a bit of a pain to grow as "Shop Standard" to look at, the flavor is great.
we Do buy celery here though, so I don`t blame you on that one

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:49 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

once again i agree with yt.

growing lettuce from seeds directly in the ground is almost as easy as growing weeds.

just turn a row, level it and remove any rocks on or near the surface. using your finger, just make a trench no deeper than the last digit of your finger. less than half an inch.
sprinkle in the entire packet of seeds (over a 10 foot row or so) in the trench, then just barely cover the seeds. gently water them in, and keep them moist for a week or two until you see the seedlings poppng up. it'll take a few days to 2 weeks to germinate, depending on the warmth of the soil.

once they've developed a second set of leaves, pick out the plants alternating every few inches to allow the rest to grow, and keep doing this until you've established the spacing you want. btw, those pickings are just as good to eat. in restaurants, you'd pay big bucks for a "micro-greens" salad.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:01 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I tried it once in a pot, but it was on the deck and I think it just got too hot and dry.

I tried spinach last year and it worked well, but I didn't know when to pick it and I waited to long and it bolted and wasn't too good.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:04 AM   #5
Executive Chef

yeah, you have to be careful about growing things like that in small pots, the leaves are thin and have a very large surface area, and as such respiration of the plant is greater for it`s mass and requires quite a bit of water to compensate.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:44 AM   #6
Executive Chef

i would be very interested in seeing a garden forum here...i hope it would encourage a few more people to plant a few vegetables in the front flower bed or the back yard or on the deck.

spinach, i start to pick when the leaves are about 2 inches across. that's baby leaf size. pick the outer leaves first. even if the plant bolts to seed, I have found the leaves at the top of the plant are still tender.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:05 AM   #7
Executive Chef

don`t forget with spinach it`s a great Cut-and -come-again crop too!
Lettuce will do this too ;)

Old 02-08-2008, 04:05 AM   #8
Sous Chef

is growing arugula about the same as growing lettuce?

If so would they cohabit in a section of a 2'x8' x 6" deep "flower box"?

Or should I start another thread?

How does Lettuce do in 3 or so hours of direct sunlight and the rest of the time in shade?

I haven't grown anything because of the sunlight/ shade thing.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:40 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

wart, arrugula is just another type of lettuce. it can be grown by itself or even mixed with other lettuce seeds for a type of mesculun salad mix. i grow a 15 foot row every spring, right next to romaine, buttercrunch, and various mixed leaf lettuces.

and yes, it should grow well in the box you described, so long as the soil is rich but drains well. 3 hours of direct sun is a little on the short side, but it depends on how much ambient light or how deep the shade is to be successful or not. in fact, the shading might help protect it in hotter weather, to keep it from bolting to seed too quickly.

just wait until you taste freshly picked arrugula! it has a spiciness to it almost like black pepper. you'll be surprised at how much better it tastes than the stuff you get in stores or restaurants. that stuff is bitter in comparison.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:30 AM   #10
Master Chef

Respectfully, while definitely used most often as a salad green, arugula is not "just another type of lettuce". In fact, it's not really a lettuce at all & is more closely related to the radish.

I grow both domestic & wild varieties (which I get from "Seeds of Italy" - a terrific imported Italian seed distributor, by the way (Seeds from Italy), & while you can grow them intermixed with lettuce for a cut-&-come-again crop, I find that they're more temp sensitive than even lettuce is & - at least here in Zone 7 Virginia - tend to shoot up quicker than their lettuce companions. Thus, while the lettuces are still young, buttery, & mild, the arugula can already be too strong for the rest of the mix. Because of this I stopped buying mesclun mixes that had arugula in them.

These days I grow my arugula in separate beds. This way I can pick the correct amount to mix with my cut-&-come-again mixed lettuce beds.

Oh - & it does do well in containers too, so well as you keep it well-watered.