Growing/Pruning arugula

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
When growing arugula, does pinching off the top ( like I do with basil) make it grow more bushy, and keep it from bolting for awhile, as it does with basil??

My arugula just seemed to just take off, and I want to prolong its life span as long as possible. A few have almost went to flower, so I kinda just plucked it off as I would basil.

Larry

Baby arugula should be ready to harvest in 21-28 days after it germinates. Keep cutting it back and if you can plant anything that will offer it some shade (I plant it with peas or kale to get some shade), you can prolong the time you can harvest it. Like cilantro and spinach, it will bolt in the heat.

Thanks. It was kinda stable for awhile but all of a sudden, it took off. Im trying to get it/ keep it under control. It seems even after one day its doubling in size.

Did yours bolt already? I haven't event planted mine! That'll be on Sunday.

But then again it still looks like winter here.

And to answer your question, I just pick when they are less than 6 inches. Never tried to pinch.

I brought back seeds from Italy years ago and harvest my spring crop for eating and let the fall crop bolt and go to seed. Then I harvest the seeds and replant the next year.

The harvesting process is a bit messy so my lawn has arugula growing in it

I got mine as small plants. and they basically didn't do much for about 2 weeks.
Now every time I come home from work and check the garden, it appears they double in size . Its gotten a little warmer here, but not hot enough that I thought they would bolt. But obviously, they must feel differently.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom