Harvesting Japanese Eggplant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
I picked some of the fruits from the plant over the weekend. I'm not sure when I should pick them though. The ones I removed were about 7-9 inches long and about 1 1/2" diameter. Very tasty too. :rolleyes:

Do they grow long and then wide?

I don't think the Japanese get very wide. Sounds like you picked them just right, any bigger they get bitter.

When the Japanese Eggplants grow up to 2", it will turn into a bitter taste...

So, it is wise to pick up the eggplants when its around 1.5" and this is the best tasty moment for Japanese Eggplants :)

What do japanese aubergines look like? I love aubergines and could eat them everyday!!!

What do japanese aubergines look like? I love aubergines and could eat them everyday!!!

Here is a photo of my Ichiban eggplants, sliced in half, oiled, seasoned, and ready to be grilled.

(pacanis, this picture is for you, too!)

ichibaneggplantsreadyfowp3.jpg

Lee

I KNOW, Jeeks! Mine are still getting new flowers on them!

If I lived in a warmer climate, these babies would be churning out eggplants all year long!

Lee

I'd like to get some white ones going next year too. It seems whenever we ran out of something in the house for a side dish, the eggplants were ready. LOL

Here is a photo of my Ichiban eggplants, sliced in half, oiled, seasoned, and ready to be grilled.

(pacanis, this picture is for you, too!)

ichibaneggplantsreadyfowp3.jpg

Lee

I saw Japanese eggplant and was all over this thread, Lee :LOL:
But your pic isn't showing up :( I even tried pasting the properties into my browser....

Uhh, nevermind. Maybe it just took a while to load. They look so small.
I was expecting something that looked like a smallish zucchini only smooth.

Don't know how much of a help I'll be on Harvesting, but... went to an Asian market yesterday & the eggplants were HUGE - maybe a foot long & pretty wide. Like eggplants on steroids LOL. They were, however, lavenderish in color - unlike the small skinny dark purple Japanese eggplants we find in the local market. (It was delish too, btw.) Why not let one grow as large as it possibly can get, just to see what happens. ;)

P.S. Found the Long Beans.:cool:

You picked them at about the right size. The bigger they get, they'll start to pick up a "woody" taste, no pun intended. :angel:

The great thing about the Japanese eggplant is that they are sweeter, and a lot less bitter than regular globe eggplant.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom