Herbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had wondered if the basil would come back, so you answered my question. I have been keeping a pretty good check on the basil for the flowering.Not happened yet. I've got to water them, since the days here have been over 100 I'm sure they need a good drink. For a while it was raining every day and I didn't have to worry about it. Now we are in a dry time.

I had wondered if the basil would come back, so you answered my question. I have been keeping a pretty good check on the basil for the flowering.Not happened yet. I've got to water them, since the days here have been over 100 I'm sure they need a good drink. For a while it was raining every day and I didn't have to worry about it. Now we are in a dry time.
my mom sometimes would keep a basil plant in a pot inside on a windowsill. she kept it alive and producing for a long time (over a year) by keeping it clipped on top and never letting get go to bloom. basically she tricked it. :LOL:

There are several plants that are improved by harvesting often. Many, many years ago a vegetarian exercise instructor friend asked me why red bell peppers were more expensive than green. It is because the longer you leave the fruit on the bush, the less the bush will produce. If you pick them green, you get more bell peppers, so can make more money off of the plant. Like you said, you're tricking the plant. Of course the longer the fruit is on the plant, the more chance there is of disease or fungus or animals having supper before you get to harvest. Hence, red (yellow, orange) bell peppers are more expensive than green. I don't find that keeping other herbs pinched back is as important as it is with basil, but it sure makes a difference there. Now, if someone would tell me how to keep cilantro from bolting .... help!

Back
Top Bottom