"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 05-13-2008, 05:41 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

I definitely am seeing less bees this year. Last year too.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:49 AM   #22
Executive Chef

If I'm correct, I think I remember it's some kind of intestinal parasite?

Old 05-14-2008, 08:50 AM   #23
Master Chef

yes, they do have a deadly mite decimating their populations as well as just the usual man-made deforestation of their habitats. I can remember 15 years ago instructing the neighborhood kids to just shut their eyes and come to the front door and not be afraid of the bees that were flocking to my flowers. Most of them did........not one bee sting ever......if I was slow in my movements i could work amongst them with no trouble.......oh, how I miss their busy hummings...there are so few now
Old 05-14-2008, 03:02 PM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
yes, they do have a deadly mite decimating their populations as well as just the usual man-made deforestation of their habitats.
Unfortunately the parasite and other causes have not been proven and I don't know what "deforestation" has to do with commercial honey bee populations that are moved on a regular basis from customer to customer. It is that population that has declined over 70% and is trackable. There are still a lot of wild bees out there but, as people are noticing, they seem to be declining also even though there is no way to make accurate counts.

What is known is they are declining and there is no expected solution within the coming years. Fortunately farmers know how to pollinate the old fashion way by hand, which is how most of the Japanese farmers do it, but it does not result in mass food production.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:43 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd
.....has to do with commercial honey bee populations that are moved on a regular basis from customer to customer. It is that population that has declined over 70% and is trackable....
Just a thought...I wonder if it is this constant moving of the hives from customer to customer (Big $$$$$$$$) that is the culprit. Or plays a role in the stress on the bees??? Surely no one would put a natural resource in danger for profit!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:30 PM   #26
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Just a thought...I wonder if it is this constant moving of the hives from customer to customer (Big $$$$$$$$) that is the culprit. Or plays a role in the stress on the bees???
{Bee returning to hive}

Darn, the family moved and didn't leave a forwarding address!

And I imagine that regularly waking up in a different place could take a toll.

Quote:
Surely no one would put a natural resource in danger for profit!!
Yeah, Never.

{/sarcasm}
Old 05-14-2008, 04:37 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Just a thought...I wonder if it is this constant moving of the hives from customer to customer (Big $$$$$$$$) that is the culprit. Or plays a role in the stress on the bees??? Surely no one would put a natural resource in danger for profit!!
UB, or Billy Bob, this is happening to the stationary hives as well.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:55 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
UB, or Billy Bob, this is happening to the stationary hives as well.
Billy Bob??... Sir Robert Of 'Misippi', Lord Of The Realm, Duke Of The Swamp, Baron Of The Bayou, Knights Templar, Jedi Knight, Keeper Of The Coals, or Watchman Of The Woods...but not Billy Bob thank you

Seriously...an old bee man of 40+ years did suggest this to me the other day...Maybe the stationary hives are grieving themselves to death over the loss of their "traveling" cousins...

Is this a world wide "syndrome"...or is it just a USA and close neighbors phenomenum? What about Brazil...Germany....Russia....Australia???

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #29
Master Chef

I'm not thinking of domestic kept hives----but rather wild bees.......our area has cut down so many trees that their natural habitats are gone........same story for the butterflies .....I used to have so many visit my yard along with the bees but it's so rare to see them now...it's sad
Old 05-14-2008, 06:07 PM   #30
Executive Chef

We don't see many here either. We used to have so many on the Wisteria that you had to walk way around it, but only bumble bees now. However, the people who sell honey not far away still have it to sell.