Horseradish, how to control?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I like horse radish, so decided to plant my own... bought a big "root" from the grocery and put it in a pot, now it's growing..

now I just read somewhere, don't put it in your garden as it will "take over"..
is that true? do I need to just keep it in a large pot?... I know that Mint will take over here as we rareley get "hard freezes" here...

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx..zone 8

I was just reading about that last week becasue I want to plant some for next year.....
My book said to either keep it in a pot on the patio or put the pot underground if you want the horseradish in the garden....
Or plant it somewhere it can roam where it wants to.
I'm gong with option #3 and putting it away from everything at the back of my property.

I've been wanting to plant it for a while, but never really got into it seriously. So what you saying is it will start growing if I just put into a pot?

You'll need a root barrier. Other plants like bamboo and mint require them too or they will take over the area in no time.

Planting in a larger pot is the easiest. If you want to train it to grow in a selected area then you'll need to install a root barrier. They can be made from plastic or even metal flashing.

Horseradish doesn't spread as rampantly as bamboo or mint, but it does slowly spread. Plus, it's difficult to eradicate because when you harvest those long tap roots, even the tiniest bit left behind will create a new plant. If harvested regularly though, it can be kept in bounds. My father had a small clump that didn't stray far over many years - but he made a point of harvesting it frequently.

My father had a small clump that didn't stray far over many years - but he made a point of harvesting it frequently.
I have (English) horseradish here in France as it helps control the Doryphores (Colorado Beetle). I have it in large pots scattered around all over the place. Trouble is I'm not sure how to harvest, store and use it so I've just left it. Any pointers as to what to do with it?

Cheers
Haz

The only way is to dig the roots up, back-breaking work I know. But horseradish roots can be tamed if the plant is grown on top of a contained, one metre high (at least) dung heap that underneath, has a pond liner sheet that would stop those terrible roots from burrowing deeper in the Earth's crust.

By growing horseradish on a tall mound, at least you can access its roots far more easily.

A tip when grating horseradish roots, to avoid sore stinging eyes wear a pair of swimming goggles. Lol you might look weird, but you certainly don't get tear-streamed eyes. I ever wear 'goggles when peeling onions. They're excellent. :)

Ouch!
Good job my roots are in large pots.

Thanks for the tip about wearing googles. I wear glasses so don't have to many probs peeling onions but I think h/radish is more pungent

Cheers
Haz

Horseradish is more pungent especially when grated. I prefer pulsing the narrow roots in the Magimix, but the devils still have to be peeled. Moon Flower's idea of using goggles is a goodun.

Years ago were grew it and didn't have a problem of it 'taking over'.

If your growing it for its pungent roots try an elevated garden than you can pull the dirt away to trim the many roots down to 1 or 2 large roots only. That's the best way.

You'll find triming roots an almost impossible task if you plant at ground level...but you can still get some decent roots, just not big enough to peel before chopping up. The all white roots when blended give you a nice white color and smooth texture.

We brushed the smaller roots as clean possible since they were too small to peel with a potatoe peeler. When blended that will yeild a darker color and a very slightly woody texture horse radish.

Whew ...still takes my breath away just thinking about making it. T

Standing on it's own the plant is a handsome broadleaf about 16"-20' tall.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom