Horseradish- I want to plant it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
I would love to grow this. Do I need to get seeds or plant some sort of root. I have looked on the internet including amazon and ebay (UK). If anyone knows of some supplier I would be grateful.

Hi, I grew some from pieces of root of horseradish I bought at the grocery store. It wasn't easy to find whole horseradish here but we found some, planted 3 pieces and prepared the rest, grinding, salting, vinegar, then refrigerating and freezing.

It took a couple years to produce, and not too much, but others find it invasive. The leaves are huge, a foot or so tall, but like radish leaves, they smell decidedly like horseradish.

We also grew from a peice, we had horseraddish the next year and it took over the patch we had given it, we where never out of horseraddish.

But if you plant it in a pot it has to be 1 meter deep or the root wont grow properly.

Perhaps plant it down the side of the house somewhere unobtrusive. I have a plant, was here when I moved in. It was 8 years before I even knew what it was. It is big, it has grown, perhaps it is where it is (north side) but I do not find it invasive.

when I did some research on it, read that you should basically start it anew every year. Dig up a good portion, do your thing with it and replant the rest of the root. It was my understanding that once it had grown the roots would not be as tasty/good as fresh root.

So if you divide and replant each year, perhaps your plant would not become so gigantic?

I like horseradish but not so much as to go thru the hassles of preserving it.

I think I still have the articles I looked up, I will see if I can find them and refresh my memory.

My dad would dig up horseradish roots that were from generations old plants on some of his farms. Those roots in the blender made for some potent, eye-watering fumes, but a tasty sauce. Maybe ask a farmer for a chunk of root to plant.

Last edited:
We've grown leeks and beets in big pots. I check the big box store's garden centers and buy those large (and fairly expensive) pots when they put them on clearance when I need them. Got 2 for less than the normal price of 1 that way once.

Dragon was right, the article I found stated first-year roots are more pungent and they called for a pot depth of at least 30 inches, so not quite a meter. The leaves are also edible and supposedly have a similar taste to arugula.

https://www.thespruce.com/growing-horseradish-plants-in-the-vegetable-garden-1403461

Last edited:
My father planted some pieces last spring. The result was a very thin root, much thinner than a young carrot. But I was told that we should have left the roots in and that horse radish will produce on the second year.

If you're looking to prepare your own fresh horseradish hook up that blender outside, or wear a gas mask. I hire someone else to prepare it these days..Beaver brand is my favorite.

I got some horseradish from a grocers but there are no stringy roots attached. Can I still cut a piece of it off and plant it or do I need the fibrous roots on it.

I got some horseradish from a grocers but there are no stringy roots attached. Can I still cut a piece of it off and plant it or do I need the fibrous roots on it.

Does it still have areas (sides) with the peel on it? Then yes cut an inch or a few inches to plant. If the peel is on it, it will be slightly darker than the interior.
horseradish-700x420.jpg

from: https://www.theepochtimes.com/horseradish-for-better-digestion_186863.html

If the outside and the interior are the same light beige/white, with no roughness on the outside, it may have been peeled. I don't know but doubt a peeled horseradish would work.

You might be able to stick a couple toothpicks in the piece and perch it in a glass of water to see if it grows roots.

Rip off merchant

I bought a large piece of horseradish. Cost £2.60. I was told it was £10 per kilo. This sounds a bit of a rip off for some vegetable weed. It would work out cheaper to buy horseradish sauce from a supermarket.

Thanks for your help. Have planted the top bit that has some greenery growth and cut a small piece and as (Dawgluver) suggested ...

"stick a couple toothpicks in the piece and perch it in a glass of water to see if it grows roots"

Congrats on at least finding a piece that sounds viable!

Good luck and may it grow as you desire! - (although I'm sure you probably won't need it :LOL: )

Happy Grinding when the time does come! :chef:
and be sure to heed Kayelle's advice - DO IT OUTSIDE - wear goggles and a nose/face mask if available. :wacko::mrgreen:

Keep us advised!

Back
Top Bottom