"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener
Old 05-13-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
Senior Cook
How do you grow your tomato plants?

I'm starting a garden this year and want to know how you keep your tomato plants from growing so crazy, I have use the cages and they just don't really help I want them to grow up and not all over the ground. One day I hope to be good at gardening.

chilichip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
Master Chef
I am attempting a few tomato plants in containers this year. I have a cherry tomato that has close to 2 dozen tomatoes on it right now and I have a roma that is just starting to produce a few. I think I counted 3 on there this morning. I'm gonna plant a green bell and yellow bell later today as soon as my cordless drill charges and I can drill some more holes in 2 more buckets. I also built wire cages big enough to protect 2 plants each so the birds and my cats don't destroy the plants. As far as them not growing crazy, I've just been pinching off the bottom leaves to keep them growing up. It seemed to make the trunks thicker so they stand up better.
By the way this is my first attempt at gardening.

Finally things have started clicking for me, my knees, my elbows, my back, etc...
getoutamykitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
I stake tomatoes...tie often....prune up to the first cluster....
You might also try a determinate variety...They grow to a certain size and stop...as opposed to an indeterminate variety that will keep growing all season long...
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
Master Chef
At the least you need to stake them or use a cage. You shouldn't let them grow along the ground.

You also need to prune them and pinch off the "suckers."

Here's a good article on how to care for tehm: Pruning Tomatoes - Fine Gardening Article
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #5
Master Chef
That is a very nice article. BUt even if you do not prune, just simply put the cage or stake the plant. I think I use a handle from the old brum, just tigh the plant to it and they are fine. Doesn't have to be too fancy.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
Executive Chef
I let mine sprawl over a thick (12 inch) layer of hay on the ground. I can't stand fooling with the plants, I get a skin rash. I completely cover my body when I pick the tomatoes, but I won't do that just to train or tie up the plants. We allot a large area for the tomato plants.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
Senior Cook
I use the cages. I only have 4 plants, so it's not really a hassle to put the cages on. I have a bunch of clusters like the one below but have only gotten about 4 ripe tomatoes so far. I didn't know that I was supposed to pinch the small branches below the first cluster. Gotta job to do now .

Cooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
Head Chef
Tomato plants are stupid so you have to help (often) to make sure the stalks find the supports. They won't do it on their own. You also learn to pinch off those little growth at the joint of a stem when the plant gets about as tall as you want it. That forces growth back the other way.

I have some hanging upside down which I thought would save me all that effort, but no you still need to give support and direction when the plant gets big and full of tomatoes.

I've even gone so far as to tie string from a stalk to a support when it gets tired of holding up all those tomatoes. Yup, tomato growing is not a spectator activity.
Support bacteria. It's the only culture some people have.
mcnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:55 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
so far so good in topsy turvey container. has clusters and seems to be fine, just left alone , cept for watering. another in a pot also has tomatoes on it. i can see where it might need a support. i think just almost anything that will hold em up would be just fine.
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
Head Chef
I grow about 25-30 plants each year, depending on how carried away I get when I start my seeds.

I use cattle panels* and T-posts instead of cages. I set the panels in parallel rows, about 18 inches apart, tomato plants in the middle. I set the plants about 2 feet apart.

Once that is done, the only chore is walking the row a couple times a week, stuffing errant branches back inside the panels.

*Cattle panels are 16 feet long by 4.5 feet high, made of heavy gauge wire. They cost (last year) about $20 each at the farm store. Cattle panels are also great for grapes (see the bottom pix) or other vines--just make them into an arch. They can be cut, if you have a smaller garden.

I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote