How late is "late summer?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
I have a few cool season things I'd like to give another go at..... spinach, lettuce, broccoli, peas.....
What average temp would you say I'd be waiting for?
Late summer to me is now.... but it's still hot.
Early September?

:I don't know a lot about gardening but I would think late summer would mean late August even early September.

Gee, I hope someone else responds since I have no clue what I am talking about.:wacko:

What you need to do is figure out your average first frost date & count back from that. Also, some fall crops like lettuce & spinach may not germinate well in hot temps. You may need to wait before sowing them or, better still, start them inside the house & transplant them out when things start to cool down outdoors.

Late August early September, but also depends on the average temps. You can't wait too long to start them, so if the temps are still high in late August start them indoors and when the temps come down transplant. You don't want to be harvesting in snow, LOL!

I go by the calendar to judge "summer" and "late summer" so late summer is mid September since fall doesn't even start on the calendar until Sept 21st/22nd (depending on the year). I know some parents that think the last day of Summer is the first day the kids go to school, but plants don't know what day kids go to school.

There should be a guide on the seed packs to tell you when it's a good time to plant for your specific area.

Really - that would have to be one heckuva seed pack in order to give info for every specific area in the U.S.!

All they can give you on a seed pack is basic zone information. They certainly can't get into 2nd/fall crop info. They assume that gardening folks will have or use other resources for that info.

Well I've got plenty of seeds, I'll just start the 2nd week of Sept I think and see how it goes.... if it stays hot all Sept (I hope so!) I wont have wasteed much.

Really - that would have to be one heckuva seed pack in order to give info for every specific area in the U.S.!
Every pack I have has a map of the US on the back color coded for when you should plant. It's not all that difficult. It looks a lot like the morning weather map on The Weather Channel.

my fall broccoli has been in the ground about two weeks....can't get peas to germinate in this warm a soil so we don't even try anymore, don't do lettuce, and we will plant spinach next week

I did my broccoli early this year (first tiem growing) and it did realyl well. definitly going to do it next next year. maybe ill plant some more now.

late summer in Georgia is different form late summer in Minnesota, so last week Aug to 1st wk Sept. THis year is interesting. We're into the 60s at night and next week the 50s and this is southern PA!

beth is 2 zones ahead of me so I think I'm about 4 weeks behind at this point!!!
I better get moving!

Back
Top Bottom