How to store green onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milford

Cook
Just got a plastic bag of green onions for a recipe I wanted to try. Now I got a lot of leftovers. They are slowly wilting and getting wet. I've been peeling off the wilted part and running a paper towel over it to dry them. But how do you properly store them for maximum shelf life?

Just got a plastic bag of green onions for a recipe I wanted to try. Now I got a lot of leftovers. They are slowly wilting and getting wet. I've been peeling off the wilted part and running a paper towel over it to dry them. But how do you properly store them for maximum shelf life?

Put them in a tall glass with a couple inches of water in it. Put the produce bag loosely over the top. Store in the refrigerator. You can store them on the counter or a window sill as well, but they will keep longer in the fridge.

I go through a lot of green onions/scallions and don't bother to try to save them. I chop them up and mix them in my morning scrambled eggs, use the green tops as a chive substitute over baked potatoes, top Mexican dishes and casseroles with them, use them in salads, and just generally wherever I would use larger onions. Gosh, there are so many ways to use them up. They look so pretty as a garnish, plus the added benefit of a little onion flavor. :yum:

Last edited:
You could put em with your other albums. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

latest

I use the glass of water trick to keep them crisp for a couple of days.

Try cleaning them and eating them raw, with a sprinkle of salt, as a side with a burger or a sandwich.

This is also a good way to go. You don't really need to use a foil pouch, do it on the stove in a small frying pan with a tight fitting lid.

Steam-Grilled Green Onions Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Good luck!

Last edited:
I had used a bunch, chopped them down to the white part. Placed the white parts ( with roots intact, into a glass of water, put by the window. 2 weeks later, I got myself a full bunch again.

I use those green plastic bags that absorb gasses given off by vegetables. They work better than storing them in regular plastic bags. I rinse them out and re-use them (I hang the bag over a stand up roll of paper towels to dry out). It makes my raw veggies last at least a week longer. I bought those plastic balls where you insert a packet into the ball, but the thing is...I rarely if ever store raw vegetables in my fridge's produce drawer (unwrapped in one way or another), so that blue ball thingy was kind of a waste to have purchased. The water soaking method is very tried and true.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to give the water storage method a try. Also Larry's hydroponic growing method.

It was only last year that I learned how long you can keep parsley in the fridge in water. Last fall I cut some herbs before the first frost and stored them for weeks in the fridge.

What a great idea. Thanks!
You're welcome :)

Its one of those stupid things that make sense, and I wonder why I never tried it before. Recently its been going around the internet so I gave it a try. I was surprised how much it grew in 2 weeks. And considering if I didn't do it, the root tips probably would have got pushed to the back of the fridge, dried out, and been tossed.

Back
Top Bottom