How's the garden coming along??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a mudhole with seedlings. Looks pretty sparse. I slipped in the mud yesterday and fell. Feel like I was hit by a truck today. I think I will putter about MY yard today and see what I can accomplish. I have lots of flowers coming in and weeds galore.

We went from a cool last few weeks, and now the next few days will be close to 90, not sure how some of my seedlings are going to handle the dramatic swings in temp/ weather.

Everything is in except the sweet potatoes.

The early stuff like the cabbages, romaine, brussel sprouts, onions, garlic and potatoes are doing rather well.

The tomatoes, peppers, eggplants , string beans, chard are holding their own, but will likely kick in next week as the warm front comes in .

the cukes , squashes and okra Im a little concerned about with the extremes, but hey, they're in the ground so whatever is going to happen is going to happen.

The peanuts were doing well, until the cats decided to camp out on top of them ( Be cause I put a row cover over them to keep it a little warmer, and they sought shelter, which was smart and good for them, but not so good for the peanuts.

Now that thats all done, i can focus on getting the flowers in

Unfortunately none of the residents here are into gardening. The maintenance workers for the past several summers have been growing their own veggies for their families in the 20 plots that have been provided for the tenants. The maintenance boss has the dirt tilled early in the season. Sadly, this year, there is no one growing anything excepts weeds. Although I did see a couple of stalks for garlic sticking up. I think they are just leftovers from last year.

Good land just going to waste.

Unfortunately none of the residents here are into gardening. The maintenance workers for the past several summers have been growing their own veggies for their families in the 20 plots that have been provided for the tenants. The maintenance boss has the dirt tilled early in the season. Sadly, this year, there is no one growing anything excepts weeds. Although I did see a couple of stalks for garlic sticking up. I think they are just leftovers from last year.

Good land just going to waste.

Well maybe that will change in the next few weeks. Boston (is that where you are?) is at the same latitude as we are in WI and we don't plant until next week-end or the next week-end for fear of another frost. The garlic is possibly planted in the fall, like ours and not ready until July, so it should stay in the ground a bit longer. If they've given you a plot, you still have time to pick up seeds and plants, and have fun.

I am harvesting asparagus, spinach and some recently planted onion plants (I planted 600 onion plants to I could harvest some early and not feel badly). Today I planted seeds in peat pots for tomatoes, summer squash, cucumbers, basil, lettuce, swiss chard, chiles and zinnias. The peas are about 6 inches tall and I am starting to see flower formations on the raspberries. I have a bunch of flowers on the blueberry plants (and copied Andy's recipe of today). The garlic looks great. Still too early to put put tender crops. Below freezing temps are predicted this weekend and there is still snow on the mountain. We are not supposed to put out tomatoes until the snow is gone.

I am harvesting asparagus, spinach and some recently planted onion plants (I planted 600 onion plants to I could harvest some early and not feel badly). Today I planted seeds in peat pots for tomatoes, summer squash, cucumbers, basil, lettuce, swiss chard, chiles and zinnias. The peas are about 6 inches tall and I am starting to see flower formations on the raspberries. I have a bunch of flowers on the blueberry plants (and copied Andy's recipe of today). The garlic looks great. Still too early to put put tender crops. Below freezing temps are predicted this weekend and there is still snow on the mountain. We are not supposed to put out tomatoes until the snow is gone.
WOO HOO Beth! We have asparagus too. Our new thornless black berry plants are coming up heading towards the new trellis. Our potatoes have peaked through the ground! My lettuce garden with the cover frame has rows of salad stuff coming up in little rows, radish, fennel, lettuces, chard, beets, onions, right off the kitchen entrance. Our garlic is a foot high and we only planted about 500 or so this year. All the fruit trees flowered, apple, pear, apricot, cherries, plum, and the lilacs are in full bloom and it smells wonderful outside. Our tomato and pepper and brussel sprouts are in pots for 2 weeks until it is warm enough to plant them in the garden. Tomatoes, some are a foot tall. I hope it is a good year. I'm envious of your blue berries.

Well, everyone seems to be getting going in their gardens!

Heh, thanks Dawg for the compliment.
PF, I hope you're feeling better, slipping and falling for me anyways,
is more embarrassing then anything else.

My Garden 2017.jpg

My patio pots garden has grown!
I started out with just two pot and some how it's now 8!
Our landscape guy gave me a Sweet Bell Peppers and a Cucumber,
no clue what kind but I'll take it.

Last edited:
Pepper plants are still growing slow. The basil is doing a little better, but not growing as fast as I would like, or expect. I think it has just been too dry. Hand watering just doesn't replace good, soaking rains.

My new oregano and rosemary plants are doing great. They are very hardy plants. My three year old thyme plant is doing great, too.

CD

Rain rain rain. Beans and peas went in, sweet potato mounds are made. Too wet to put in the tomatoes and peppers. Maybe this next week.

My yard is shaping up. Was going nuts pulling weeds until I realized I might be pulling up flowers in the wildflower garden. Had to stop when I didn't see anymore dandelions and creeping charlie.

I made a batch of Andy's Jordan Marsh Blueberry muffins today. I gave my neighbor two of them. Like me she is a diabetic, and I didn't want her to go off her diet. I really filled the muffin cups to the top like the recipe says. Yum!

The other day when I looked at the garden plots, there were 15 of the 25 planted. So I guess I will be getting fresh tomatoes this summer.

I actually/finally/at last got to my vegie patch today. It had not been used for, I think, at least 2 years. Finally got it roto-tilled and then circumstance and weather set in...

I raked and drew out lines for plants. Actually planted my tomatoes, extra parsley, Thai basil, reg. basil, a couple of sweet red peppers. Did not get to the brussels or the eggplants. Only got the snow pea seeds in but not the green beans nor the Swiss Chard. Nor did I get to the leeks, Spanish onions, shallots. Hoping the rain might hold off tomorrow long enough for me to get some of the stuff in. I can only work for certain length of time before my knees/feet or back bring me to a crashing halt. Then with an hour or two of rest I can get back to it. Maybe late ;) but we will get there.:rolleyes:

Ive got everything in except sweet potatoes.
Im guessing the cool spring is keeping the nurseries from getting them ( last year I bought them mid may).
I started some slips of my own from sweet potatoes from last years crop, but I don't have confidence that they will take , so i prefer to have a few plants started from those who know what they are doing.
Now, Im concentrating on the flowers , which I am exceptionally good at killing.
But, things seem to be coming along.

Glad to see so many of you have gardens too. For me, gardening and cooking go and in hand. Its my favorite time of year when I get to do my produce shopping right outside my back door.

After work this morning, I hung around outside the house and planted most of my latest haul from the nursery. Tuesday I head back to Mom's for lettuce and other salad fixin's planting.

I have 3 garden scenarios going on right now.
My vegetable garden outside
My aquaponics garden, which I usually do during the winter months, but the fish tank needs to be filtered year round, so no reason not to benefit from it.
And, Im growing a variety of sprouts/ Micro greens.

Towards the end of the winter, Im always getting the itch to get something growing, so the Sprouts and Aquaponic garden, although no substitute, keep me with some fresh ingredients to play with. I usually do mushrooms too a few times a year. ( inside with kits during the cooler months), and I have a few shiitake logs outside as well ( which I think are burnt out, with the amount of rain and cool temps we've had recently, I would have thought I would have had a bumper crop this year.

Tomatoes, peppers, brussel sprouts, onions went in. We still have more onion seedlings to go in and dirt to mound around the potatoes that are growing. Our supplier of sweet potatoes in NC hasn't sent them out yet, maybe next week. All the fruit trees, the new black berries, the strawberry bed, all had fruit fertilizer put on them. Milorganite in the garlic bed. The pear and apple trees set fruit and need to be sprayed once every week or so. It's about time for reseeding some more lettuce in the lettuce garden and weed it out. We also put in a landscaping plant, which is also a weed, for herbal medicine, two beds of them. We need to pick up some mulch to keep the weeds down. It sure is a busy time of year.

It sure is a busy time of year.

Sure is.
Due to the warm winter, I was able to get things up and going relatively early.
I figured Id have more time to relax and wait for the everything to ripen.
But with the warmer weather and increased rains brings weeds, and more weeds.
So far I think I have the upper edge on them, but I can see things getting ugly real soon, as I can only do so much.

I'm ecstatic that I have a vegie garden this year. Didn't have one for 2 years due to health issues. Discovered :LOL: I still have a few issues and can't work for more than 45 minutes.

Yesterday got in my snow peas, tomatoes, a couple of sweet peppers and the herbs. Was supposed to rain last night and all day today but it has not started other than a few sprinkles here and there. So this morning I got in my Brussel Sprouts, Eggplants, leeks. If it still hasn't started to rain this afternoon maybe I will be able to go back and see if I can get in the onions (sweet & shallots).

I don't know what I've planted extra this year but I've run out of space - have no room for the green beans nor radishes and I think there is another packet of something in the bucket :huh: .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom