How's the garden coming along??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We don't have rabbits like you guys get, maybe out in the country but not in town. I propagate seeds on my decking which is under cover. We plant out when weather warms up. We planted seed potatoes early last year and got lucky, new potatoes are so sweet and yummy with butter. I cook Xmas lunch with potatoes peas and carrots from our garden. I made strawberry and raspberry jam from our garden as well.

Russ

So far, I'm very pleased. The bunnies usually chew my bean plants down to nubs even after successive plantings, but this year they didn't and I may have beans! Critters have enjoyed the lower- level ripe cherry tomatoes and ripe blueberries, but there're much more to come. Cukes are flowering like gangbusters, but dagnabbit, I forgot to plant dill, hope to scrounge some from a roadside stand.

Bunnies think chopped up green garden hoses are snakes and will avoid your garden. At least that is what I have read. If you have an old hose, cut it up into two and three foot lengths, scatter them around the garden.

I now have three tomatoes...the flower garden is doing well, bee balm is spectacular. Shrek's rose is blooming again.

Last year was our best green bean year ever. (also the year tomatoes didn't do well at all) So we capitalized on that. We started with a few rows the in the spring, and twice the bunnies nibbled many of them off, which we expected, so we planted more, and lost a few more, put in a few more. Then when the garlic was harvested, we planted beans in July in that area. With the fall being mild we had so many beans, it was crazy. I canned 80 jars, some pints some quarts, more than enough for 2 years.

I think the bunnies get their fill early in the season, then they eat other stuff. But I do have to say we did dispatch 7 this year so far, to save the garden from their rampages.

Good point about early bunnies. I got a late start planting. We're surrounded by woods, so I have a never-ending supply of (well-fed) critters.

They're not at all afraid of Beagle, they'd probably point and laugh at a green garden hose.

Last edited:
pretty sad this year..I get home after 7 pm every night and we are having drought conditions here in Eastern Ontario..I have been using a soaker hose so I will have tomatoes, cucumbers, potatoes and onions..I will do some late summer spinach for fall and some more onions in a week or so..

Attachments

• 37289220_10155504756472401_1607864197448728576_n.jpg
    37289220_10155504756472401_1607864197448728576_n.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 100
Mine is barely staying alive. It is seriously hot and dry here. Plus, I'm out of town most of the time, lately. I have to count on my sprinkler system to keep things alive. I can't hand water plants as they wilt. The weather conditions are not unusual for North Texas in July, but not being here to hand water as needed is a problem.

My pepper plants blossom, but don't set fruit, because it is too hot.

My basil is barely making it.

CD

My balcony garden isnt working. My strawberries either died or got fungus, the only thing that seams to survive is thyme and also my daughter multiflora beans are going sort of well no flowers on them but they are growing.

Compared to previous years:

Cukes, kirbies, string beans, chard, peppers, garlic, blue berries as good if not better than past years

Zucchini, peas, leeks, Average ( wish they were better, but could have been worse)

Onions, eggplants, peanuts, watermelon Disappointing. Onions are hit or miss for me. Do the same thing each year, not sure why the inconsistecy. Peanuts, only 1/2 germinated. The ones that did are doing well, just half the amount. Eggplants are my nemesis!. No matter what I do, they just dont do well. They are a few feet away from my peppers which are like 3 feet tall with multiple peppers. My eggplants are slightly bigger than the size I got them. I never have luck with watermelon, but Imalwayshoping ' this will be the year', better luck next year.

Tomatoes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, tomatillos, carrots Yet to be determined. All look really health and appear to be on the right path to success, but won't know for a few more weeks/ months.

Honorable menton: Spaghetti Squash. Plant grew from seeds/ pulp I tossed in the garden during the winter as compost. The plant grew from the onion patch. I didnt have the heart to pull it out, so I trained it to grow nicely, without crowding the other plants. Now, I have 6 spaghetti squashes from the plant about the size of a football. Much better success than when I plant it purposely.

New Additions: Persimon tree, Red Currants

I treat my garden like Macy's treats their Thanksgiving Day Parade. I start planning next years garden, the second this years garden ends. I keep really thorough notes one what I planted where, when, how often I fertilize and with what, the temps and conditions outside through out the growing season, whether I got seeds , or plants and when and from where i purchased them. Then On things that didnt do so well, I research to see what I did wrong and what I could have done better.

The only unpredictable factor is Mother Nature

Glad most are having gardening success! I'm afraid my elderly nameless apple tree may be on its last legs. It's just thick with apples on the branches that aren't dead, but this may be its swan song.

After a daily battle squishing squash bugs and spraying for flea beetles, the garden has finally taken off. I have 55 green chile plants and a bunch of tomato plants.

Attachments

• DSCN7476.jpg
    DSCN7476.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCN7479.jpg
    DSCN7479.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCN7481.jpg
    DSCN7481.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN7480.jpg
    DSCN7480.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 91
Hi all,
Mt wife and I maintain a veggie garden and a bunch of grapes in our backyard, in the Niagara region, in Ontario, Canada.

We have eight 4'x10' raised beds, which this year contain: Around 13 various tomato plants, 3 tomatillo, 5 zucchini, 6 green bush bean, 6 sweet pepper, 2 habanero, 2 japaleno, 2 tabasco, 1 ghost pepper, garlic, leeks, lettuce, kale, swiss chard, carrots, cabbage, cucumbers, strawberries (everbearing), rhubarb, beets, butternut squash, acorn squash, pumpkin, yellow onions, several potato plants, and several sunflowers mixed in. Also several herbs like cilantro, basil, oregano, and a couple more.

I have about 35 Muscat vines, and 10 riesling vines, all used for making wine. I also have a few table grape vines I'm not sure on the variety of.

We have several raspberry and blackberry bushes, 1 red and 1 black currant bush, 4 fig trees, 2 pear trees, and an apple tree.

2018 has been a good year so far. We've already started canning pickles and beets. Tomatoes are just starting to ripen in good numbers so salsa will be coming up soon. Grapes are all looking good too, so should get somewhere around 60-80 bottles of wine from these grapes.

Photos are of grapes and the garden both now and back on May 8 when we planted everything.
We can/preserve a lot of stuff. This time of year the cellar is always a bit bare but just started replenishing it.

Attachments

• 20180717_195945.jpg
    20180717_195945.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 20180719_204120.jpg
    20180719_204120.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 113
  • 20180705_203636.jpg
    20180705_203636.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 20180508_155503.jpg
    20180508_155503.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 20170906_065727.jpg
    20170906_065727.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 107
On life support. I may have to pull the plug.

I've been out of town too much, and it has been 106F to 108F most of that time. The automated sprinkler system can't give individual plants the water they need. That has to be done by hand watering.

I'm not giving up, yet, but some of my herbs and pepper plants are looking really bad.

CD

Back
Top Bottom