"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2017, 05:31 AM   #1
Executive Chef

How's the garden coming along??

With a relatively warm winter, I was able to get a lot of the prep work out of the way. This weekend is the first big garden week for me ( here in New York).

Last week I was able to get carrot, parsnip and beet seeds in the ground.
I built a strawberry tower ( that I had seen on line and was tempted to try).
I also started some seeds in doors ( Okra, Specific variety of tomato that I've saved the seeds and been growing for about 15 years, tomatillo, chard

Yesterday I planted about 300 Onion plants, about 80 or so leeks.
I was at the local Home Depot and saw some romaine lettuce , so picked them up and got them in the ground too.

Today, Ill plant my potatoes, possibly plant the leaf lettuce and arugula .

Most everything else I find easier just to buy the plants rather than start from seed. I just don't have the room indoors to start that many seeds. I really want/ need a greenhouse.

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:48 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I'm only growing swiss chard, collards, an Everglades tomato plant and various herbs. Limited space here, besides I just don't have the energy for much else, arthritis has been acting up really badly last few months.

On a decorative note, I'm on the hunt for Fuschia Autumnale plants for the front of the house in a built-in raised bed/box that's mostly shaded. Looks like I'm going to have order them from somewhere though. Can't believe it, just found out they are also edible.

medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:50 AM   #3
Sous Chef

so aggravated about getting my garden started. I got it turned under, but I can hit the time when its dry to till it smooth to plant. The last recorded frost here is April 15th, so I always wait until after that for tender plants and flowers in the bed. Need to get my corn in the ground this week.
GA Home Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:54 AM   #4
Sous Chef

I haven't even started. Last year at this time I had tomato plants a foot tall in the basement. Its been so wet and cold I never even thought about it. I'm going to get some seeds started today.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:02 AM   #5
Executive Chef

My "back 40" is about 40 feet of back yard -- by choice, BTW. My last home was a big house, with a big yard, and a big garden. I even had a peach tree in the garden (wow, that was good). Now, I like to sit on the patio more than I like to work in the yard.

I planted my herbs and peppers this past week. That's all I am growing this year. I'm just growing cayenne peppers this year, because I use them a lot, and they freeze well. My herb gardens have rosemary, thyme, oregano, and basil. Those are the herbs I use a lot of.

CD
Old 04-09-2017, 09:45 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

How's the garden coming along??

We don't safely plant out here until after Mother's Day. Folks who plant before then are a boon for the greenhouses, they get to buy their stuff twice. I'll plant flowers, tomatoes, and green beans.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:48 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
We don't safely plant out here until after Mother's Day. Folks who plant before then are a boon for the greenhouses, they get to buy their stuff twice. I'll plant flowers, tomatoes, and green beans.
Im risking some stuff by getting it out this early.
Some years I get lucky, other years we get hit by a late cold spell, and kinda knocks some sense back into me.

But after thinking about it for the last 4 or 5 months, I'm itching to get outside and get things going, even if it means a few setbacks.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:01 AM   #8
Executive Chef

This is how I started my seeds in March. This picture is from 3/19 and now most of the plants are a couple inches tall. Our plants will go in at the end of May, so quite a bit of time left for growing. Tomatoes, peppers, brussel sprouts, herbs.

I have two flats of onions from seed. They are about 2 inches tall now.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:22 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Nice, bliss. I used to start all my plants under lights in the basement with heating cables and the whole shebang. Now I get them at the local greenhouse.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:27 AM   #10
Executive Chef

When we have extra transplants, and we will, we drag them out to show the neighbors and they buy them from us. Sometimes DH takes them to work and his coworkers buy them.
We save seeds too and we have some real winners. High production romas and nice sized San Marzano tomatoes. If anyone wants some seeds, I can mail them out to you tomorrow, just PM me and I'll get some to you.

blissful is offline   Reply With Quote