"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 07-30-2009, 01:19 PM   #91
Honey Badger

It's finally happened.The maters are here!!!! I'm so excited about that.
Almost gave up hope that they would ever ripen.The squash has been plentiful.I picked a few yesterday.
Had this huge one and a few smaller ones.
Pretended that they were the Partridge Family.Danced them on the counter. Sang "Com on' get happyyyy"..nobody saw the humor in that.
Kids asked what I was on?!!!..Ahh well I was happy anyways.

Munky.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:13 PM   #92
Head Chef

Yup,
My maters are kicking in now also CM. I've been loving BLT's and just plain tomato and cheese sandwiches. The fried green tomatos have been great also.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:23 PM   #93
Mr. Greenjeans

Last night I made a pseudo curry from 1 zuchini, 1 yellow squash, 1 handful of grape tomatos. All from our garden. It was so good.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #94
Executive Chef

just planted my fall broccoli and cabbage plants

the first broccoli harvest is almost done, the potatoes can be dug but we will leave them in the ground for a while yet....the onion tops have been layed over..just waiting for them to die back some more before they come out of the ground....beans look like they may be thinking about flowering, carrots are big enough to harvest, corn is starting to tassel, need to freeze some peppers, and the tomatoes are green and hard!
Old 07-30-2009, 08:29 PM   #95
Chef Extraordinaire

still have some basil that is usuable..............carrots ok..............squash blooms but ? but i have three kinds of tomatoes getting ripe. the heat spell we had pushed them along.

was going to replant some things and do some for early fall. since i fell and hurt my foot. that isn't going to happen. can't get out there to water. still can't get a shoe on.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:35 PM   #96
Senior Cook

You've heard of the victory garden, well our's is the garden of despair. We just moved into our current house in the early spring. The ground was too wet and muddy to plow it up in time, then we finally got it plowed memorial day weekend and totally misjudged the amount of sun it would get. We have a heavily wooded lot and the only place that gets almost constant sun is our long driveway. Next year we'll have containers lining the driveway. But we do have one bright spot, The peppers we grew from seed and have in long flowewr boxes are doing very well.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:34 AM   #97
Master Chef

I had my first ripe tomato in a salad night before last...so sweet, juicy and delicious...I think I could write a song about tomatoes, except it's already been done. There's an old country song that says two of the best things in life are true love and home grown tomatoes.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:12 PM   #98
Assistant Cook

My tomatoes are coming on. I planted them late. Hope I have a lot on the vines. I love fried green tomatoes and bacon and tomato sandwiches, also in fresh salads and sauces. I am a southern cook, but love all kinds of cooking, and food. I am cutting down a little, as I am trying to lose a little weight.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #99
Honey Badger

My gardens in a pickle,literally.Cucumbers are all over the place.

Snails have decimated all the green bean plants.I can't set bait out to kill them, have dogs.They are my garden keepers.
Can't set beer out,dogs might get into that to.That's all I need is a toasted dog!

Everything else is doing great.I'm proud of my peppers and can't wait to smoke them,then dehydrate,to make my own hot spices.

Have yet to cann anything.Everything that's been picked has gone towards dinner.I'm saving $50.00 a week in just produce from my own garden.

Other then the snails being a problem,it's all been good.

Munky.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #100
Master Chef

Munky, if you sprinkle diatomaceous earth around your green been plants, the snails will leave them alone. It's made of a soft, chalky rock composed of fossil shells, that coats the snails body, drying it up. If you can't find it in your local garden center, it is available on line.

I had my first BLT yesterday for lunch, and it was heavenly!