"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 08-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #101
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
Munky, if you sprinkle diatomaceous earth around your green been plants, the snails will leave them alone. It's made of a soft, chalky rock composed of fossil shells, that coats the snails body, drying it up. If you can't find it in your local garden center, it is available on line.

I had my first BLT yesterday for lunch, and it was heavenly!
You know I completely forgot about diatomaceous earth.Had some already in the garage.We use it on the lawns to kill fleas.It certainly does it's job.
Thanks for the reminder.

Glad you had a good sammich! :)

Munky.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:46 PM   #102
Master Chef

I swore I was not going to preserve tomatoes this year! But now I have three huge bowls of tomatoes. I'm going to start dropping them off at various neighbor's houses.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #103
Chef Extraordinaire

still have carrots, tomatoes, and basil and that's it. the heat got some and bugs got the rests. will do with a drip to water them next year. i am 71 and most of yard is rock, is a hazard to go out and water.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #104
Executive Chef

for the unusual conditions, enough crops did well that we will eat this winter...we will have broccoli, cabbage (sauerkraut), carrots, kale, potatoes, lots of potatoes, celery, onions, garlic

sweet potatoes remain to be seen, won't know until October how they did

didn't grow enough corn to put by, have not touched 2008's frozen sweet corn yet

no tomatoes, still getting used to that, maybe I will use up the canned tomatoes in stock....will buy a case of paste to make sauces this winter, have mostly juice in stock

oh, forgot the beans....bush beans are the size of match sticks and the black eyed peas are forming...hope to dry all the black eyed peas
Old 08-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #105
Master Chef

Something I learned from a dear older friend who taught me a lot about canning for sustenance...if you have an overflow of, for instance, tomatoes one year, you should can extra, because you may not have any next year.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #106
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
...I'm going to start dropping them off at various neighbor's houses.
Claire, it's amazing how many veggies my neighbors take, especially when I drop them off when they're at work.

Our garden this year is terrible. We've been gone for 3 weeks and expected to come back and have things ready to pick. Carrots and beets are great and I'm actually going to try another round of beets tomorrow. Peppers are alright and onions are coming ( I think ). Tomatoes ... I have lots of green, hope to get some warm weather to redden them up. Squash ... one balls are ready to pick, have a few zuchinni, no yellow crook neck, no butternut. We tried a modified melon for our area and have lots of blooms but no fruit. Cucumbers ... have a few on. Beans are a bust. I really could cry. Oh well. We'll start planning for next year.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #107
Head Chef

My tomatoes are behind, lots of green ones, tomatillas too, nothing red or ripe yet.
Cucumbers are okay, we've had a few, would like a lot more. Zucchini is okay, not too much yet, hopefully more so we can shred them for zucchini bread in the winter.
Pea pods, steady, blanched and frozen.
Green peppers are still stunted, same with basil, we keep fertilizing them and watering them.
Bush beans and pole beans, producing for a month now, canned and pickled a bit so far. The japanese beetles we are picking at a rate of 50 per day to keep them at bay. I'm hoping for another full month of the garden producing.
I wish I had planted a bigger garden, it really did well this year, and I wish I'd have planted more herbs and some pablano peppers.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:38 PM   #108
Chef Extraordinaire

i couldn't believe it , i have two eggplants. i thought the plants was squash and that it was dieing. go figure. lots green tomatoes still. have been eating ripe for quite a while. i am tired of watering. lol
Old 08-26-2009, 04:37 PM   #109
Executive Chef

yesterday I unloaded some sweet corn and green beans onto a friend, and he is supposed to be bringing over a boat load of tomatoes from his sons' garden today
Old 08-30-2009, 07:14 AM   #110
Master Chef

Our problem this year was that it was too cold. I swear if you put every day together you couldn't come up with a week over 80 degrees all year AND we had a lot of rain. I still had enough tomatoes to give away a lot of them, but the season will be short and the tomatoes are relatively small. The "crop" that suffered the most was the peppers. Didn't get a single eggplant. I've decided in future years all I am growing is poblano peppers (for my cousin's New Mexico green chile), "Super Cayennes" (for drying) and Early Girl tomatoes (because I have tomatoes earlier than any of my friends; many are just now harvesting their first ones and I've been giving them away for two months).