"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 09-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #111
Chef Extraordinaire

Cow Horns

Cow Horn Cayenne Pepper

HOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #112
Everymom

I could use a few of those to go with all the tomatoes that are going nuts here. I have more tomatoes than you can believe! Say it with my now...SALSA SALSA SALSA!

UB, together we could make beautiful salsa.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #113
Master Chef

Uncle Bob, I bought a cow horn plant for the first time this year (this is the first time I've ever even seen one) and it may edge out my usual super cayennes if I can find them next year (I live in a short season place, more so than usual this year, and want something that can produce in that time). Question I have for you; have you dried them? We only had the one plant this year, and I have great luck drying my super cayennes. If I can't dry them, there's no point in growing more than one plant. SOmetimes peppers I grow rot or mildew before I can get the dry enough to put in a jar or food processor for chile flakes.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #114
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Claire...

I've never dried Cow Horns...Just eat them fresh out of hand, make pepper sauce, and occasionally in a salsa....To dry I leave the regular Cayenne on the plant as long as possible...I thread them with a needle and thread and hang them in an out building away from insects to dry...I always lose a few to mildew, rot, etc.....May try to dry some Cow Horns this year just to see....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:04 AM   #115
Head Chef

Ive been away from home the past 10 days or so. Im afraid to see what my garden looks like. Everytime i go away, when i get back, the weeds have completely taken over,and i just give up at this point since it is close to the end already. Im also curious to see how much damage the chickens created while i was gone. They've already found there way to the cucumbers and tomatoes. They are lucky im a vegetarian, or they'd wind up in the pot with the vegetables !!
Old 09-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #116
Head Chef

First it was cold, now it's too hot. And we've been plagued by grasshoppers. I don't grow food, but one of my small russian Olive trees has been stripped bare by the hoppers.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:53 AM   #117
Master Chef

In that case, Bob, I will let you know how they do as a dried pepper. I, too, grow cayennes for drying and string them as you've described. I grow poblanos to roast. Our season here has been way too cool and rainy for a good crop, but my husband (the roaster and stringer, I'm the grower) has roasted enough poblanos and cow horns for a batch of My Cousin Joanna's New Mexico Green Chile. Husband is disappointed with our cayenne yield this year, but whenever he complains I shake a mason jar that still has an inch or so of chile flakes we ground LAST YEAR in it. It's like tomatoes. He complains that we don't have as much this year, but I still have a quart of sauce in the freezer from LAST YEAR. Ditto pesto. Seriously, we don't have a separate freezer and I get tired of plowing through this stuff!
Old 09-15-2009, 05:53 AM   #118
Master Chef

Larry, we used to head to visit my folks in Florida in the spring, but the two weeks away at the start of the season just made my entire yard go out of control and I'd never catch up. This year we decided to head down in the late autumn, after we've put the veggie plots to bed, so to speak.

Which is what we're starting to do now. I've torn out one tomato plant that had nothing that would ripen before our first frost (it has been so cool that the tomatoes take forever to ripen). The other three plants will go before the week's over, I think. I was hoping to head south with some fresh tomatoes (Florida's tomatoes leave a lot to be desired) but a cool, wet summer killed that thought. I always hate gardening this time of year, the clearing of dead plants.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:20 AM   #119
Head Chef

All I have left are my chard ( which I ate yesterday, but there are still some useable plants out there) ,some herbs and a few leeks. Everything else has been pulled out. Ill plant garlic in a month or so for next year.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:47 AM   #120
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Larry, we used to head to visit my folks in Florida in the spring, but the two weeks away at the start of the season just made my entire yard go out of control and I'd never catch up. This year we decided to head down in the late autumn, after we've put the veggie plots to bed, so to speak.

Which is what we're starting to do now. I've torn out one tomato plant that had nothing that would ripen before our first frost (it has been so cool that the tomatoes take forever to ripen). The other three plants will go before the week's over, I think. I was hoping to head south with some fresh tomatoes (Florida's tomatoes leave a lot to be desired) but a cool, wet summer killed that thought. I always hate gardening this time of year, the clearing of dead plants.
I am glad to find your site - now I know what a good one looks like.
Very good topic to share with us. Great info.
thanks for this useful informations.. now i find what I want to know.. thank you..

latspafli is offline   Reply With Quote