"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 09-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #121
Senior Cook

I tried onions for the first time this season, but didn't have much success. Apparently there are two types of onions, long day and short day. Down South, we plant long day onions so they growth through fall and winter and form their bulbs when days get longer in spring. But they only sell short day bulbs at the big box stores (didn't know until now) so my onions tried to grow through the hot, dry summer and would have formed their bulbs when the days got short again in the fall, had they not gone dormant from the heat and rot in the ground. Oh well, that's how you learn!

I've planted my fall crop now: bush beans, tomatoes, and pretty soon beets, collards, and long day onions.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:00 PM   #122
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by texherp View Post
I tried onions for the first time this season, but didn't have much success. Apparently there are two types of onions, long day and short day. Down South, we plant long day onions so they growth through fall and winter and form their bulbs when days get longer in spring. But they only sell short day bulbs at the big box stores (didn't know until now) so my onions tried to grow through the hot, dry summer and would have formed their bulbs when the days got short again in the fall, had they not gone dormant from the heat and rot in the ground. Oh well, that's how you learn!

I've planted my fall crop now: bush beans, tomatoes, and pretty soon beets, collards, and long day onions.
since i planted everything in pots, i planted green onions, never got a single one. planted seeds, came up, nice green but nothing underground.

i still have tomatoes , one at a time so just for salad. ready to pick 2 small eggplant. saw another one on the plants yesterday.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:04 PM   #123
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
since i planted everything in pots, i planted green onions, never got a single one. planted seeds, came up, nice green but nothing underground.

i still have tomatoes , one at a time so just for salad. ready to pick 2 small eggplant. saw another one on the plants yesterday.
Actually, I just realized I got it backwards! In the South they plant short-day onions because they grow them in winter and in the North, they plant long-day onions cause they grow them in the summer. But either way, I don't think green onions will ever produce a large bulb.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #124
Honey Badger

Here we've just got the tomatoes and peppers left.

It was a great summer,never thought I'd actually like gardening,I did enjoy starting things from seeds and watching them grow.It's a shame that it's almost over.Winter is going to be long and boring.

Wanted a winter garden,but I need a larger area.I have the room but I have to work out a way to work it around the sprinkler system/pipes..I already have a bad habit of not checking for the heads that stayed popped up before I mow the lawn.. CRUNCH!! My husband doesn't think it's that funny.

Munky.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #125
Master Chef

I"m definitely doing the fall thing, and it is my least favorite part of gardening.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #126
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by texherp View Post
Actually, I just realized I got it backwards! In the South they plant short-day onions because they grow them in winter and in the North, they plant long-day onions cause they grow them in the summer. But either way, I don't think green onions will ever produce a large bulb.
There are particular types of "green" onions that produce a larger bulb. The bulbs can be up to 3 inches in diameter. I'm darned if I can recall the name of the seed type though. Sorry about that.