"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 05-24-2009, 10:52 PM   #21
Honey Badger

Wow you guys have it going on all over the place! :)
It's been fun reading what everyone else has planted,what will eventually be a great season.Can't wait to see pictures *Hint- Hint* as all the gardens progress..
If my hound dawgy behaves himself I'll post some when everything gets put into place.

Munky.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:38 AM   #22
Executive Chef

I took these photos last week to help me keep track of the early potatoes.
The top of the garden shows the spinach, onions, brassicas and potatoes.
The lower garden photo shows the potatoes, or lack of potatoes, carrots, the center of the garden that was empty last week but now contains the corn, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and basil, and at the bottom, the garlic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0031.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	7185   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0035.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	7186  

Old 05-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #23
Master Chef

The perenials in my herb garden are going great guns. The annuals are taking off, too, but not ready to contribute much to the pot. Most years I plant "early girls" tomatoes (2 or 3 plants) because, in fact, they do produce earlier than many. But I usually add an heirloom tomato, this year something called Wisconsin something. Last year it was Amish Paste tomatoes. Anyway, the tomatoes seem to be healthy and hearty, although it will be months before fruit appears. I also grow two kinds of peppers, poblanos to make my cousin's New Mexico Green Chili (husband roasts, peels and seeds them), and super Cayennes (larger than regular cayennes, and maybe a bit milder, but y'all are gardeners, you know that the heat of a pepper is very unpredicatable). Those I dry and grind.

the tomatoes and peppers will not bear fruit for another month or two.

On the other hand, I planted frost-hardy greens (mustard, chard and spinach) and that is starting to come in. I need to plant lettuce soon.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:31 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

planted an heirloom tomato, called mortgage payer. should be interesting. going out now for basil. gonna make a pesto and serve with thin spag. for dinner.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:32 AM   #25
Cook

Umm....it's not. I'm taking a break this season. Instead, we've decided to try chickens....my husband just finished the coop this weekend! I've heard that the "poo" makes great fertilizer...here's hoping for next season!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 01:30 PM   #26
Executive Chef

If our gardens were not in raised beds, they'd be a goner. We have had almost 17 inches of rain. Living on a hill is great in this case. We need to grow heirloom tomatoes too. Our gd bought two yesterday for $8.38.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:45 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

here is my garden---easy peasy and along with a CSA subscription should keep us supplied with fresh goodies
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0085.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	7196  
Old 05-30-2009, 06:35 AM   #28
Senior Cook

Strawberries are ripening nicely. Trimming back on the grape vines to expose grape clusters to the sun. Some of the rhubarb has bolted to flower stage. All the cooking herbs seem fine ( chives, parsely, celantro, basil genovase, greek oregano, 3 types of rosemary and sage) Spearmint and peppermint are doing their thing so I run the mower into them so they don't take over the lawn. Companion planted tomatoes and basil this year. Read somewhere that the food which goes well together are plants that do well together. So I'll see how true that is for my soil etc. Trying a white eggplant and this time it is chicken wire to stop the squirrels who bite the fruit. I'll put the potted plants out for the summer soon that includes the bannana tree a lemon tree and a bay laurel. Chicago hardy fig tree is little but survived its first winter and has doubled its size. LOL now it is 1 foot high.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:55 AM   #29
Master Chef

Licia, when I lived in Florida, I grew almost exclusively in raised beds. Most parts of Florida have almost sand as the soil, the water will leach almost everything from the plants and the plants themselves will float away. Where I lived, the soil wasn't very rich (almost sand), so I built raised beds and filled them once a year with some kind of soil so that everything didn't get washed away. People who haven't gardened in Florida (ditto Hawaii) don't understand that year-round warmth has its pitfalls in vegetable gardening.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:12 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Collard greens are fine, peppers and tomatoes are ok, my basil don't look to good.

later